Steinberg's VST Live

Nah. Seems like a different beast – and fewer features for VSTi playback overall. And after using Cantabile for 6-7 years, I’m not anxious to redo all of my songs. Without a trial to even check it out for curiosity’s sake, I’m not interested at all. Cantabile is “cantabile.”

As for the licensing issues, I don’t have any problems as long as I keep track of everything – and as of late I’ve had to do a fresh reinstall on a dying laptop and then on a new laptop. No major licensing problems. At first I didn’t like them, but now it’s no big deal for me – and I own a LOT of VSTs from all the major companies. I do get tired of having to install so many download/licensing programs, but that’s the way the industry is going now. iLok isn’t a problem for me, but Waves can be a pain. No problems at all with Roland. Yes, annual licensing is getting pricey, but even Cantabile has that (for upgrades). As for Cakewalk/Sonar, I had been using Cakewalk on an 8088 DOS lunchbox in the 80’s, so they’ll always have a place in my heart. Sad to see them go, but I still have access to all their software through the Command Center installation software – and I still use Rapture, D-Pro, etc. Rapture crashes sometimes, but at least I still have access and it all works… for now…

I think it’s so cool that I can play software versions of Roland, Korg, and all the knockoffs from UVI, Arturia, NI, Omnisphere etc. Now if Yamaha would just get in the game…without Steinberg.

1 Like

Steinberg support told me that the demo of VST Live will be available at the end of August.

I am interested in the macOS version, in an experimental rig where it is always Cantabile that controls everything. The Mac is connected as a slave to the PC via MIDI. It’s a hybrid way I’m trying to split the VSTi load.

2 Likes

Vst live trial now available at Steinberg.