Sound Triggers When Changing Songs

Weird intermittent problem: Sometimes when I switch songs, a quick sound will play – like one note. I can’t repeatedly replicate the problem or tie it to any specific plugins, although I kind of suspect UVI Workstation since it seems to usually be in the set when it happens. Since I play at a church, it can be noticeable even if it’s just a second of sound. Any ideas on what could be happening?

I can’t suggest any reasons why but I noticed the same yesterday when rehearsing. It doesn’t happen every time so, as with you, can’t reproduce a set of specific steps to reproduce the phantom note.

Hi @Synchrony

I don’t have an immediate solution either except to suggest trying to narrow it down to a particular plugin to start with. Once you’ve got it narrowed down to a particular plugin the next step would be to figure out why - perhaps it’s getting a MIDI note from somewhere, perhaps it’s a bug in the plugin or Cantabile.

ie: more information and diagnostics required :slight_smile:

Brad

Thanks, Brad! I’ll keep an eye on it. It only happened once this morning during warm-up rehearsal, but then not during either of our two performances. I use two controllers – a Code 61 and a Keylab 61. I’ll play around with switching between songs with UVI Workstation and see if I can replicate it. UVI is highly suspect… the one time it happened today, I was switching from a song with UVI to a song with primarily Omnisphere. I’ll report back when I have more info.

Could it be the last dregs of a sound left in an audio buffer from a plugin, just re-appearing when the plug in is re-enabled?

Neil

1 Like

That actually makes some sense. It’s not a random note that plays. Sometimes it’s even a chord. Always really quick and lite – and doesn’t ever sound out of key. How would I make sure the audio buffer is purged?

Right click on plugin.
Flush tail sounds.
Also check this thread where we kicked the issue around:

Interesting… Since I can’t faithfully reproduce the problem – and I’m not positive as to which plugin might be at fault – I’d be reluctant to program in a flush on every song. Transitions between songs are really important when playing in a church, and I’m usually responsible for that (we use a click track in our in-ears, so I have to fill in during the count-in between songs). But this gives me an idea of what might be happening. Thanks!