Revert to windows 7?

no, you’re not - I’m perfectly happy with my Win10 setups; no jumping through hoops to stabilize or tune it. It simply does what it is supposed to do - unless you mess things up with tons of custom tools and installations.

After some time, any Win system can benefit from a clean install - if you’re not super-tidy, all kinds of garbage accumulates on a system.

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Just thought I would reiterate…work arounds for Win 10…not for 7 or 8. I would love to go to 10, and will probably be forced to eventually. Just not now. BTW …the new Intel processors supposedly will even further drag systems down with imbedded spyware and information sharing within the processor, AND will disable work a rounds. Forums have been buzzing about it for a few months. :cold_sweat: The sky is falling.

I’m using Win10 at the studio and it has been rock solid, no problems at all. And of course now that I have put that out there in the universe just watch what happens. But my Cantabile Laptop is Win7 and likely to stay that way until there’s no choice.

2 Likes

Oh and speaking of Intel, I hear a lot of exciting buzzing about AMD being back on top with the new Ryzen processor but I haven’t researched it, anyone have any info on that?

2 Likes

Some months ago I searched about it and the result was pretty clear that Intel is still the way to go if it comes down so DAW performance. I can’t remember why, but this is what I know so far.

One very important argument to me for an Intel CPU is the integrated GPU. As far as I know Ryzon doesn’t have that and needs a dedicated GPU.

All things considered I think I’d rather have an external GPU though.

No space in my device for this stuff :slight_smile: I need it as compact as possible and NUCs are not an alternative for me.

There are many sites where a used but good and fast computer can be purchased cheaply. It seems to me that taking one of these machines and making it a dedicated machine would be a great idea. Currently, every time that Microsoft wants to make more money, we all end up having to accommodate their latest whim. So what is needed is a boot version of (?chose the OS) to made a machine run Cantabile only, no WIFI, no virus checker, no other overhead.

Well, that’s what I have set up, more or less.

1 Like

Me too. Every computer I’ve owned for studio work or live play has never been online in the decades of being digital. I built all my desktops, and modified my laptops. Win 10 is a much different monster though.

Greetings all!
Me: MCT for Microsoft, MCSE, MCDB, MC-I’m So-Sick-of-it…
Plus Masters in I.T.
The most stable and loving OS for PC is Windows 8.1 Pro. Period.
NEVER let it update, (Turn it off in Policy editor, or with Updates, etc., and LEAVE it off! My PC has NEVER had a Windows update! I Use a variety of DAW systems on my Lenovo (gamer) laptop (Y70), with a mere 16GB and a SSD (480GB). It’s the most solid and secure computer I have ever used.
Sidebar for “Disconnect your computer from the Internet…”
Here’s the REAL deal from Microsoft:: Microsoft has ZERO INTEREST in protecting your PC from someone taking advantage of its vulnerabilities! Microsoft has EVERY INTEREST in promoting and supporting their OS for their largest corporate clients. They update Windows based on client requests, then deliver the same crap to ALL of us so that their ‘support system’ can support a single ‘version’ of their OS. If a corporation wants Microsoft to include a (misbehaving) driver for their unique hardware, then you will get that same driver; get it? Microsoft doesn’t give a rat’s ASS how your computer holds up against the myriad threats out there or the vulnerability that their OS presents! It’s about the Benjamins, brothers and sisters; what?!?!? you’re somehow surprised?!? Shut the front door!
I deliver TRUTH!
…and I’ll stack up my nearly 40 years years of experience, (most with Microsoft), against anyone who thinks they can refute this. My first computer was a Kaypro with CPM. The 2nd was a Lisa, then the IBM PC; Mac(intosh!), IIc, IIe, XT, AT, 386, 486, Pentium… la, la, la.
You want security, stability, performance? In a PC?
Windows 8.1 Pro on a Lenovo Y-70, (which, if you can find one, COMES with Windows 8.1!), with at least 16GB RAM, Pentium 7 (6th Gen), and a Solid State drive with a USB 3 1TB drive. A Targus dock with DIsplayport technology wouldn’t be a bad addition either. (Multiple monitors, and more USB ports.)
Above ALL, STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS 10!!! A-N-Y WINDOWS 10!!!
I love everyone!!! That’s why I put this up here!!!
This system has rocked solid since 2016 without so much as a stage fart!!!

3 Likes

Allow me a different view:

First, I am instantly suspicious of anyone who claims they have the ONLY truth - there’s hardly ever one truth on anything…

Second, there seems to be a flaw in the argument above: if Microsoft is really so greedy and un-trustworthy and their operating systems are a vulnerable bunch of crap, why should one single sub-version (8.1) suddenly be exempt from that?

@BrionBell: I definitely respect your experience and value your input, so if a specific laptop with Win 8.1 runs well for you, then that’s great - I just wouldn’t generalize this (what’s the sample size behind it?).

Re secure systems: as one of those “corporate clients who push their crap into Windows” I was responsible for a user base of about 100.000 clients - would I really have had an interest in working with a supplier who “doesn’t give a rat’s ass how your computer holds up against […]threats”? H*** no! System security was a constant topic in any discussion with any vendor, be it Microsoft or Sun Microsystems or Oracle - you can be sure that the pressure is on all these vendors to deliver systems that are secure - and constantly keep them secure by delivering updates.

Any security expert worth their salt will tell you that installing OS security updates is one of the key prerequisites to having a secure IT estate.

I generally follow a more pragmatic approach for my music hardware: I claim that any PC / laptop with a current OS (including up-to-date security patching) should be able to run a reasonable live music installation, provided a little care is taken and effort invested:

• Using the pointers in @brad’s “glitch free” eBook
  • Waiting with version updates until the first teething problems have been ironed out
  • Not overloading your system with all kinds of tools and utilities
  • Making sure that other software (office, communications etc.) doesn’t interfere with music operations

And of course the key ingredient: keep the load of the music ops on your system reasonable! A system that is at the limits of its processing / RAM capacity will be de-stabilized by every little unforeseen event - leave enough computational headroom so that the system can cope with little niggles.

Yes, you can probably fine-tune any machine with a specific OS version, driver version, deactivating specific services, components, etc to deliver about 20% more than my “middle-of-the-road” installation, but I’m happy with what I can get out of today’s systems (TBH I find it pretty amazing!) - and Moore’s law keeps pushing the capabilities forward.

Just my 0.02 EUR - and I’m at 39 years of similar experience to the above…

Cheers,

Torsten

6 Likes

“The non-paying public can be very demanding” (I think I may have made that up myself)

What would be really great is a CD or flash drive that one plugs into a computer and it sets the computer up with the appropriate values and software to make it a dedicated machine. From there on, the user would bring in sound samples and whatever else using similar external media. The only other connection to the outside world would be whatever the instrument needed. No WIFI, no updates, no viruses or virus checkers (okay maybe just to frisk incoming files but even that would be better done at the source where the file came from).

There are already several companies offering flash drives to speed up MS machines. I suspect they install Linux.

Likewise, I am with Torsten, and I have been dealing with computers since the days you hand assembled your assembler code into ops codes and punched in hex bytes on a microprocessor development box (I just about missed punched cards and paper tape :wink: )

That is not to say that Brion’s experience is not valid, it is an opinion, but not the sole truth. We all need to decide which path to follow.

I get really nervous about unpatched OS which may still be full of hidden vulnerabilities waiting to be discovered and exploited. And I can’t say I have seen Windows 10 as a backwards step compared to Win 8.

As mentioned above, the biggest impact of Wannacry in the UK was old XP machines.

A big eye opener for me was having to “clampdown” a Windows NT system in accordance with UK GOV accreditation rules. That was a huge eye opener as to all the vulnerabilities in what was allegedly a computer OS that had already been security accredited to CESG EL standards, obviously I can’t give the details, as I’d have to shoot you all afterwards ;).

So far I have had no problems with Windows 10 other then forced updates, but an upgrade to PRO stopped that. Windows 10 so far has been very stable across four machines, without a single BSOD. My only gripe with Win 10 is I really don’t like the the move away from Skuomorphic HMI design back to something that that even I could draw (i.e. simple blocky graphics!). But that does not stop things from working.

This 1903 latency issue is a concern, so I will looking very closely at it - experience appears to be mixed so far. With enough complainants and time it will get sorted.

3 Likes

Hey Derek

Enlighten me on something, if you will. You use Win 10 Pro, and are able to “turn off” updates. So considering your concerns about unpatched OS having hidden vulnerabilities, would it be possible for you to selectively choose which updates you allow? Such as skipping 1903, but allowing, say 1904? Also, are you using “vulnerabilities” as in security, or in lurking future demons somewhere in the OS?

No ill intent here, just curiously learning. :wink:

Regards

Corky

Hi, Corky.

All my machines are shut down now for the night so assuming nobody else replies here first, I will check it out tomorrow. I think you can disable a specific update, but want to double check and I am not sure if that applies to big feature updates.

When I talk about vulnerabilities. I am talking about security holes as opposed to “features” :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Thanks Derek.

Another question if you do not mind…if you are talking about security holes, and if your machine is not on the internet, wouldn’t that be an unnecessary concern?

4 Likes

The local television stations recently updated and anyone using an (over-the-air) antenna had to re-scan their TVs. The next day, around 2 in the morning, I woke up to sounds in my living room. The TV had turned itself on! Whaa?

My sports (jogging) watch has a green LED that it uses to take my pulse. When I first got it, it spooked me when the LED turned on by itself temporarily in the early morning hours.

This is the new(est) reality. Your life is not your own, UNLESS you disconnect. I’m calling for a dedicated, lean machine.

1 Like

Well, none of my cloud based human augmentation implants are acting up, at least.
Well, none of my cloud based human augmentation implants are acting up, at least.
Well, none of my cloud based human augmen ation implants re acting up, at lea t.
Well, non of m cl d based h an aug en ation implants re act g up, at lea t.
Well, n o m cl d b d h an a en ati im nts re act g up, at le t.

T y

6 Likes