Rack mode and States with patch changes

Hi everyone, I thought I had it sussed with creating a song, then a Rack with all the VST`s I needed and various States in the same rack. But when changing between States, the different Presents I’ve chosen don’t work. Have I go this the wrong way round to create different Setups with Presents mapped across the keyboard.

Regards

Chris

It’s not easy to know what you’re doing, so perhaps a screenshot of your song and racks could be useful.

But one thing to be mindful of - check that routes within your racks aren’t disabled (red cross) in some states. That’s what tends to happen when you edit/extend the contents of your reck when it already has some states.

Neil

Hi Chris,
I think you need to save the states of the rack (check the edit menu ctrl+U, update) or assign a hotkey as I did.

Hi everyone, I’ve

started from fresh again and created a new song, then a set list and then Added a Rack. In the rack I have added 3 VST synths and created 2 states and saved them both with one changed patch on a VST. When I swap between the 2 states in plays the same patch even though I have changed it and updated the State as you suggested. It will remember key zones and mute selections so I can see that, but not the patch change. Also on the VST I’m changing it says “Disabled” is that the problem?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

You’ll probably find it better to keep all your plugins active (i.e. not disabled), and instead mute the MIDI routes to them in your different song states. That means when you switch states, any held notes or envelope/reverb tails from the last sound will continue into the new state instead of being cut off.

Also note that if a plugin is disabled, it’s not going to change sound - it’s effectively asleep. This is another reason to keep the plugins active, and I think that’s maybe the cause of the problem you’re seeing.

There’s another thing to be aware of that might get in your way. The way patch changes work depends a little on the actual plugins; some will respond nicely by just changing the preset in Cantabile’s drop-down for each state (as long as state behaviour is set for “Selected program”, in the state behaviour list). But for some plugins this won’t work - they only deal with a single internal preset, rather than a bank of presets you can select between, and so you typically need to set “Entire Bank” state behaviour instead of “Selected program”, which means that Cantabile will store the whole plugin state for each song state, and reinstate it when changing song state. From memory, I think Absynth might be one of the plugins you have to use “Entire Bank” for - in which case, every time you save the song state, Absynth’s state will be stored in the song state, and you’ll operate that way instead of via the preset drop-down.

Hope this helps,

Neil

1 Like

Thanks for the info Neil, I’m going to give it a go now. My main reason for wanting to use Cantabile is so I don’t have to keep taking my K2600x with me all the time and wanted a lighter setup to replicate what I do with sounds, splits and zones. I’ve picked up a old SL880, still heavy, but in a soft case it will weigh nothing like 40Kg like the Kurz in its case…lol I’m hoping Cantabile will do what I want and give me access to some fresh sounds as well.

Regards

Chris

1 Like

Thanks So_Godly, ill give that a try.

Regards

Chris

I fully understand you, i have my whole rig in a portable softcase bag. Semi weighted Nord, Samson keyboard from 3 kg my laptop. Jeeeejjjjjj

1 Like

Thanks Neil, ticking “Entire Bank” is working at the moment.

Regards

Chris