Q re changing Audio and MIDI devices

Terry, the 8.1 driver works quite nicely on W10

Dennis

1 Like

Hey Dennis,

If your not using the um1 then check out what Terry said and add the new device (Nano) using Add. Cool about your new board let us know how it goes. :grinning:

Thanks Dave - yeah I had already added the Nano - but as I wrote above I think I may have reversed the order in the alias box - trying it now :smile:

Wow - first crash of C3 haha! It certainly does not like something going on here! The other thing I noticed (oh btw I did get the midi signal from the nano via the alias finally) yeah so, the other thing I noticed is that the key range settings and octave settings that were stup with the UM-1 do not transfer to the aliased device…

TBH I am thinking it might just be easier in the long run to go back to square one and re-program all the songs - AGAIN!! Too many hassles with this aliasing business hahaha!

Not sure I understand all this funny business around aliasing MIDI ports. I am currently running things with one set of song files on three completely different physical configurations:

• my studio computer, using an iConnect Midi4+ interface for my keyboards and an RME Fireface UFX for audio input and output
  • my main live laptop using an RME Babyface (with an ADAT converter for more output channels) for audio and MIDI in/out
  • my backup live laptop using a NativeInstruments Komplete Audio 6 for audio and MIDI input/output

In addition, I have an rtpMIDI connection on all these machines to remote-control Cantabile from my LivePrompter tablet.

What helps me get all these three configurations to peacefully coexist is that I don’t reference these specific devices in my input/output configuration at top level. I simply have

• one MIDI input port called “Main Keyboard” (which is then mapped to Babyface MIDI on one device, to Komplete 6 Midi on another)
  • one MIDI output port called “VoiceLive Out” - again mapped to whatever is installed and sends MIDI to my VoiceLive
  • one MIDI input port “LP Remote” which connects to rtpMIDI
  • one Audio input port “Guitar in” which is mapped to whatever audio interface and channel brings me my guitar signal
  • two stereo output pairs “Main Speakers” and “Guitar Out” which receive all the output from my racks. On one machine, both stereo pairs actually map to the same physical output pair, on another I have separate physical outputs to keep the sound tech happy (separate faders for guitar and keys - and for break music!)

So whenever I change a physical device (maybe swap one MIDI interface for a different one or connect my masterkeyboard directly via USB), there is no need to change anything on my songs - I simply create new mappings to these ports.

I would only need to fiddle with aliases if - for some reason - I wanted to change the name of one of my virtual ports (e.g. change “Guitar In” to “Ukulele In” - for whatever obscure reason) - then I would have to start aliasing. But as long as my logical structure of ports stays the same, my songs couldn’t care less what underlying audio or MIDI devices are behind “Guitar In” and “Main Keyboard”.

So: don’t fall in love with your gear and name your top-level audio or MIDI ports after your physical gear - name them by their function!

Then, if your A-70 is attached to “Main Keyboard” via the UM-1, all you need to do is assign UM-1 to “Main Keyboard” in the MIDI settings dialog. Then, use “Main Keyboard” in all your songs as the route source. When you ditch the UM-1 and attach the Numa Nano directly via USB, simply assign the Numa USB Midi port to “Main Keyboard” in the MIDI settings, and you’re all set!

Why all this fiddling with aliases?

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Which is a good idea when starting from scratch, but when you have about a hundred different songs, the Alias system works well to save a LOT of re-inputting.

Sure, but what is keeping you from simply attaching your Numa Nano to the original masterkeyboard MIDI port (probably is called UM-1 or A-70) in MIDI settings?

Open options–>MIDI ports, open your UM-1 input port (“Edit” button) and tick the box next to “Numa Nano”). Now your Nano is assigned to the UM-1 port, and all your songs (since they are connected to the UM-1 port) should now happily accept input from your Nano.

No?

Cheers,

Torsten

No it doesn’t work by simply doing that, I already tried. In the program the Alias tool is what accomplishes what you are suggesting to do :smile: