Not Good Enough For Morris Day and The Time

Thanks so much!!! I am going to pursue an RME. I understand that they are expensive. I am checking them out.

Should I get the Babyface Pro?

1 Like

You might as well be asking me which Porsche I should get :grinning:. A friend who has the UI24R doesn’t think it’s ASIO driver is multi-client. Perhaps someone else here can comment on whether the Babyface being multi-client can run along side the UI24R’s ASIO driver. Maybe both have to be multi-client or maybe multi-client is only for two interfaces from the same vendor?

1 Like

Looks like multi client just means the single USB interface can accept audio from two different programs (ie Ableton and Cantabile)

1 Like

Yes. I think you are right. What I may try is running C3 and Ableton through the Soundcraft with a 128 buffer size, pound it with a full 11 tracks of Ableton and an instance of O2 inside of C3 and see if I get drops, clicks pops etc. That way I can side step getting an expensive interface and get rid of the USB-P in the setup, as well as, ASIO4ALL. I have gigs on Thursday and the next 2 weekends. Then two solid weeks with no gigs. I may try this experiment then. Still, I was thinking of trying the Behringer for C3 at 128 you mentioned before (I think my son has that exact same one, the HD). Believe it or not, the resource hog is the AMAZING leslie from IKmultimedia. With Blue 3 passing through it it holds C3 at 30-35% just for the organ! Not sure what that is about. But I can’t handle the leslies in VB3II or Blue3. As mentioned above, and which I agree with, I don’t like the Organ at 512, but have to compromise somewhere for the sake of IKmm and O2.

128 is obviously the answer to the crappy analog attack at 512.

Try 256 first, I’m using that and I think the VST’s are responsive

1 Like

Very true. I will start with that. BTW, I believe the Soundcraft driver IS multi client.

How Do you use op-x Pro-II? I have trouble with it switching the right sounds.
Can you explain, how you’re settings are for op-x Pro-II. Perhaps, can you post a screenshot?
Thx

OP-X Pro II can be a bit of a pain for switching sounds. I create my own blank sound bank, call it “favorites,” and then save the sounds I want in that bank. I then use rack states to change sounds.

• Paul

@Torsten, Looking at Hive2 and really like it. However i got an error from it once when I ended Cantabile and I was wondering if it needs to be run inside UVI inside of Cantabile or can you just load it directly into a rack? I assme that when U-He says it has to run in something they mean a host - that it is not a standalone VST…

Until @Torsten replies…

Hive2 runs as a vst within Cantabile.

Your host would be a DAW or Cantabile or any other VST host. Cantabile is a vst host. Yes you can use it in a rack. UVI is similar to Kontakt, which is a sample host. Instruments made for them are only usable within their particular host wrapper. Hive2 is not for either.

1 Like

As @Corky wrote, Hive2 is a normal VST instrument, and as such can be run like any other plugin in Cantabile. What the statement on the u-he web page means is that Hive - like any other vst instrument needs a host program (like Cantabile, Cubase, Reaper,…) to run in and doesn’t run stand-alone in Windows like some virtual instruments do - Arturia, for example, have plugin and stand-alone versions of their instruments.

As to error messages when ending Cantabile: I’ve been using Hive 1 and 2 with Cantabile for years, never an error message. Maybe a re-installation of Hive can fix that - make sure to completely uninstall any previous version; maybe some conflicting libraries or such…

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks for the clarification

A binding buffer would need to address the options window which immediately stops the engine, so that’s gonna be a nischt, nischt.
One thing a live host can’t do is rely on something like Steinberg’s ASIO Guard, which ups the buffer on channels which are not in record or monitor input.
I have a solution which I use for those instruments which are CPU hogs, but it comes at a cost; Vienna Ensemble Pro is a network VST host which can be run on the same machine as, in this case, Cantabile.
It’s generally used for running huge orchestral templates across several computers and is certainly not the live performance machine that Cantabile is, but if you run an instance inside Cantabile, you can up the buffer by X4 and reduce CPU demand. That means a hungry beast like Diva or Omnisphere can be run safely at higher latency while other VST plugins can be run directly at the system latency.
This is pretty useless to you if your problem is not so much 'bite] as it is response.
Diva is such a hog that super low latency use requires you to compromise the sound of the plugin.

BTW - you’re not imagining it. There is a major difference in touch between a 64 sample buffer and 256. You feel it instantly.
What’s the lowest latency you can run at?
Have you tried 64 samples with only one instrument loaded, just to see how it feels?

1 Like