No audio (at startup) with Windows 10 + MOTU

No. Just one install. Brand new computer. And BTW I bought the computer thinking that it would solve the exact problem I’m having. So now I’m going to try a Focusrite interface. Thanks for thinking of this, though.

1 Like

In case you missed this point before returning the MOTU device (which otherwise is one of the best):

Disabling the Motu Audio WAVE driver in the device manager made all the difference.
You’ll need Voicemeeter to get system sounds out to the MOTU, though.

Terry

I tried ASIO4ALL and it did succeed in getting audio into my computer’s speakers, but couldn’t route the audio to the interface.

(And I’ve used ASIO4ALL for years on many computers, so I know what it can do. I’m currently using it very nicely on a Windows 7 machine with a MOTU UltraLite and Cantabile. BTW, on the Windows 7 machine, the advantage that ASIO4ALL offers me is: less audio glitching, with the ability to set the latency lower. But the MOTU UlatraLite drivers still work on Windows 7, although sometimes not as well.)

BTW, if you look at http://motu.com/download you can see that MOTU has not updated their UltraLite Mk3 driver since Oct. of 2015, and that driver and several popular audio interfaces are now listed under “Audio” instead of “Pro Audio.”

Their “Pro Audio” driver was just updated on June 21, 2017, and I’ll bet it works just fine with the latest version of Windows 10, but you need to buy their newer interfaces.

One followup - I thought that once I was able to engage the audio driver, it wouldn’t disengage, but that turned out not to be true. In the middle of an important performance last night, suddenly I had no audio, and could not get the driver to start again. Fortunately I was able to switch to my backup system, but that situation is unacceptable. I suspect that whatever Windows 10 process is interfering with MOTU audio driver initialization, restarted itself.

So I am trying a different interface now.

I currently run Windows 10 Professional and use a MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid audio interface. I’ve used both the original MOTU drivers and ASIO4ALL. In the past two and a half years I’ve never experience what you described in your post. It has always been solid. One thing I’ve noticed is lower latency when using ASIO4ALL vs. MOTU drivers.

Matt

I haven’t had a problem with either my MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid OR my 828 mk3 hybrid in 10 months, since disabling the MOTU Audio WAVE driver and starting to use Voicemeeter to send system audio to the MOTU boxes instead. On Windows 10, btw. You’ve never acknowledged that you tried my suggestion out, so I assume you did not. From my experience, nothing else works as well in combination as Voicemeeter and any MOTU interface.

ASIO4ALL may be working nicely for you in some use cases, but it is only a WDM/Kernel Streaming interface masquerading as ASIO to the DAWs and other devices. It is pre-WASAPI Windows audio (though WDM/KS is no slouch, as you have seen). Very nice interface written in Assembly language - lean and fast.

Terry

I just went on the MOTU web site, and, although the UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid is advertised as working with Windows, this page http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog/document_view?portal_status_message=Welcome!+You+are+now+logged+in.

indicates that the windows driver only works with “Windows Vista - Win 8.x”

Perhaps that is my problem. A driver written for the Windows 10 operating system that I am actually using would probably not have these issues. :slight_smile:

See what I wrote above. Works just fine in Windows 10.

Terry

I never had this problem either (with Win 10, same hardware and Cantabile software), until the most recent Windows update. Are you running the most current version of windows 10?

Yes, I am running the most current version.

Windows 10 Professional
Version: 1703
Build: 15063.483

You said that “Disabling the Motu Audio WAVE driver in the device manager made all the difference.” It seems that you were dealing with system problems related to sample rate conversion. I don’t believe that that situation is connected with the issue at hand:

00000585 47 ! [09656:1]: Failed to load or initialize audio driver. Check the device is connected and not in use by another application.

What problem were you solving by doing this? Was it this problem?

That is very mysterious.

I’ve had the problem of driver load failure on two different computers running the same Cantabile software setup and using the MOTU Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid.

Maybe the latest MOTU driver had something to do with the problem I’m having.

I am also surprised that MOTUs UltraLite Mk 3 Hybrid driver, which supposedly doesn’t work on Windows 10 (according to their web site), actually did work on Windows 10 on one of my computers for over a year (and is still working on yours).

Same here - latest update of Windows 10. Pro on one machine, Home Edition on the other.

Sample rate changes, when using the MOTU system audio drivers, force the internal hardware to shift to the new sample rate – it does not perform sample rate conversion, it changes the internal settings. This grinds gears badly and sometimes shuts the device down. I assure you, getting rid of those MOTU Windows audio drivers will likely solve your problems. I’ve been through all of this - same problem(s) as you.

Terry

Also, I spoke specifically with MOTU tech support about the Windows 10 support, and this driver DOES support Windows 10, though they have not updated the website (a different department does the website - likely outsourced).

Terry

OK. I’ll take a look and see which other MOTU drivers are available and not disabled. I’m pretty sure I didn’t see any MOTU drivers other than the MOTU ASIO USB driver (I only saw Realtek HD Audio items).

The MOTU Audio driver is the USB driver.
MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit is the one to disable.

Terry

Oct. 2015 was a long time ago in terms of Windows 10 development. There have been so many different versions of Windows 10 since 2015: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history

Given that everything worked with one of my Windows 10 computers until recently, I’m wondering if “supporting Windows 10” is different from “supporting all versions of Windows 10 in July 2017.”

OK I’ll look for that. Unfortunately, even though I have 3 MOTU UltraLites, I don’t have a duplicate setup at my home studio, so I have to wait until I go to play my show to try this out. Kind of scary.

Please disable MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit. You are wasting much time by not doing so.

Terry

2 Likes