New Piano Collection from IK Multimedia - Pianoverse

Dave,

Are you saying the Ivory settles down to 22-45% @128? This is a bit weird. Take a look, American Grand @128 with its own reverb, no other effects enabled. With buffer 256 not big difference.
Only with Sympathetic Resonance enabled, the time load rises to 20% and more.

No I thought I was saying that with Pianoverse @256 samples it settled into 22% and while playing it jumped between there and 45%. Sorry I wasnā€™t more clear. Ivory uses less resources on my rig than Pianoverse. Wow! You resource use is almost nil. I will check my setup for sympathic resonance but even then I think your rig could run circles around mine. :slight_smile:

I edited the post to hopefully remove the poorly written part.

Nothing supernatural in my time load and processor usage. I think it just depends on my overfussiness during initial PC tuning. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @cpaolo :), I turned the sympathetic resonances off for Ivory II and like you said the load dropped to 3 or 4 % load. And it still sounds fine! I have gotten the Pianoverse beast working pretty good at 128 samples as well with the load ranging from 35 to 65% load while playing. I installed Process Lasso and it appears to have had a positive effect on my C4 setup and Pianoverseā€™s performance. Anyway as a result I have been playing a lot on Pianoverse and am really enjoying playing it. Itā€™s been a while since I had a VST that I just played for hours and Pianoverse is becoming that VST. Iā€™m hoping that they might optimize the engine in a future update but as is itā€™s very enjoyable and is more natural sounding than the Ivory American Steinway. So I think I will use Ivory on instrumentally crowded songs and sneak Pianoverse in on solo piano parts. Itā€™s nice to have the option.

Cheers,

Dave

2 Likes

I keep the sympathetic resonance on for certain piano solo only, for studio pieces, surely not for gigs, even I love very resonant pianos.

Iā€™m thinking to try Pianoverse, and now I have the information I was missing. How cpu hog it is. And now you tell me it is in true IK style.
65% peak creeps me.
Most probably Iā€™ll try one month subscription then Iā€™ll see, but Iā€™m going to wait for the full pianos availability.
At the moment Iā€™m still using VSL Steinway for solos. Itā€™s a great and dynamic piano.

Paolo

2 Likes

I purchased a one-month subscription to test drive the Pianoverse library. I must say that I am very impressed with the overall sound, feel and ā€œplayabilityā€ of the pianos. I could definitely see a place for these pianos in my toolkit, however the long load time and high memory footprint are show-stoppers for me. My focus is live performance, and the Pianoverse library consumes vast resources on my beefy laptop (Ryzen 7840HS, 32Gb, fast SSD), making it unusable with multiple pianos pre-loaded in a set list. Itā€™s a shame, because I really enjoy playing these pianos. Although IK may eventually improve the processing efficiency of these instruments, I donā€™t see the memory footprint changing so Iā€™ll have to pass.

4 Likes

My sentiments as well Bruce, hoping for some optimization but love the pianos I got when I run them alone.

1 Like

New piano in the Pianoverse collection: Gran Concerto 278.

This one is the Fazioli F278, their 9.5ā€™ grand.
Again the usual BS about system requirements.

Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64 X2? Mid-2000s stuff. Is this a joke?
I donā€™t laugh at all.

1 Like

Interested in these pianos and trying to decide whether to purchase one or two individual pianos or get the yearly subscription. Iā€™m not thrilled with the idea of an ongoing subscription but do like the variety and automatic upgrade feature.

How does this work with Cantabile Performer (especially with the subscription)? Does anyone know if you can add these like any other plugin to songs?

Hi Jon,

The IK stuff uses a product manager to authorize. Once thatā€™s done it loads in Cantabile like any other VST. If you get subscription the authorization sunsets when you reach the end of the period. The subscription is managed by the local PianoVerse program once it is set.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was listening to some YT demos of these pianos, such as this one
and intrigued. Just wanted to be sure either purchase or ā€˜rentā€™ was going to work under Cantabile. Iā€™m actually leaning towards the subscription as they seem to be continuously coming out with new pianos and the subscription will automatically give access to their latest and greatest. $150/year seems reasonable for everything as long as it stays near that price going forward. Sounds like you own it. Thoughts?

I bought the Steinway and the Yamaha Upright. I love them but they are hungry CPU and disk streaming on my rig so I would not want to layer with anything else. It is a subjective thing but for me they are really good samples and if they wanted to improve the play-abilty it would be great. As it is it does well on slower material and not as well on up rapid note pieces. So, great sound but not a great live choice for my needs except as a solo instrument. Word is the new Fazioli they just dropped is the bomb!

1 Like

Thanks. Think Iā€™ll get the yearly subscription. There are too many to choose and they have new ones coming out soon. If they keep the price steady each year itā€™s not a lot of money compared to what some other plugin vendors charge per piano (names withheld to protect the guilty!). If, after a year, I donā€™t use them much I can just let it expire.

1 Like

Hey Dave,

On which CPU (or PC) did you notice the high load? This will help me make a more conclusive decision.
Mine is an i7-10750H with 64GB RAM and a very fast disk, real speed close to 6GB/s in sequential read. But the random read with small files is ridiculously low.
So I prefer libraries made of large files, i.e. the Native Instruments, and their 2GB split file structure.
Just an example: I have two piano libraries from Production Voice, both for Kontakt.

The 300 Grand is a (wonderful) Yamaha CFX that uses the 2GB split files. The RAM preload (250MB) took me about 0.5s.

The Grand LE is a (also wonderful) Steinway D that uses thousands of small files. The 250 MB RAM preload of this, is 12s. Big difference eh?

Hi Paulo,

I use 2 older HP EliteBook 8770w one with Core i7-3720QM (2.6-GHz, 6MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
Up to 3.60 GHz and one with Core i7-3920XM (2.9-GHz, 8MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
Up to 3.80 GHz. Both machines have 32 GB Ram. Memory load time is long, about 5 or more seconds. It uses large files like your CFX you described from Production Voice. The files average about 1.2 ~ 1.8 GB and the Steinway uses about 120 of them to cover all the mike setups.

DATA file for Pianoverse.

Average Cantabile Time load % = 45 idle and up to 65 % playing busy passages.

Hope this helps, :slight_smile:

Dave

1 Like

Thanks. One month subscription on its way.

1 Like

Let me know how it performs on your rig!

Sure Iā€™ll do. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry Dave, there is something strange. On IK product manager I see only the sound update content for two of the pianos.

I downloaded The YF3 but, of course, I get an error (missing .pak) even Iā€™m able to see the whole set of instruments on the left of the Pianoverse plugin.
Image2
Where the h*** are the files?

Hi Paulo, This is IKā€™s blurb on installing.

So for those who have not yet installed Pianoverse, this is the installation method:

• Download IK Product Manager
  • Register your serial in IK Product Manager
    (unless you bought directly from IK, then it is registered to your account)-
  • Under Software --> Pianoverse click Install which will download and install the Pianoverse standalone & plugin
  • Under Sounds --> Pianoverse [piano name] click Install or if you want to install to a specific directory and/or on an external drive click the three dots and ā€œInstall toā€¦ā€ and chose the location
  • Follow the sound installation prompts after download
  • Open and enjoy Pianoverse

Cheers,

Dave