New Mac processors (Apple Silicon M1, ARM type)

Apparently with all my 5 laptops and 2 desktops. I don’t think they were all luck though. I have seen a “satisfying audio performance” on several Windows laptops. I guess it comes down to what “satisfying” means to you, and the truth of your eyes.
Again, I don’t know what is happening with your many computer/keyboard controller problems, but I have not experienced such, and a few others here seem to agree.
So, good luck when you finally purchase your M1, and I hope you have a smooth experience with it, unlike those nasty Windows units. Hopefully. something will prove positive for you soon.

Here’s my take on Mac computers. I bought the first generation 128K Mac and about the only thing it could do was have “Sven” do text to speech for entertainment (sounded Swedish). When some actually useful software came out it all required 512K. So I opened it up to take the memory modules out but they were soldered on the motherboard! Sold that and DOS/Windows all the way until 2007 when Microsoft released Vista before vendors had all their driver support ready. Also the OS was half baked but in Microsoft’s defense - that was their cutoff from the past - it was a huge redesign of the OS - Windows 7,8 and 10 are really just Vista updates.

Around that time one of my long time customers who hates spending even one minute of energy on learning anything about operating a computer and had been watching those “I’m a PC” ads with John Hodgman did a wholesale swap of their company to Macs. Since we’ve had just as many learning curve issues, glitches and update problems over the years. I hired a very competent Mac consulting firm to guide us. I was constantly amazed when the consultant recommended wipe and reinstalls for a glitch as small as the mac being unable to sync contacts with Apple’s cloud service.

I have to give Apple credit for being the Kings of Hype! :grinning:. I’m not really anti-mac, more just mac-indifferent.

1 Like

I think you keep on misreading me.
I am not buying an M1 (not yet…) and I did not write nasty windows unit.
I am sorry for this missing understanding between me and you.
Without virus I would invite you for a good bottle of red wine from my region.
It usually works

1 Like

Thanks for the invite. Even if Covid was gone, that is a very long walk for me! :crazy_face:

Never say never. I could bring the bottle to your site

2 Likes

Exactly.

(Can’t edit my previous post) Exactly, @Torsten. People who really think they need to try a different platform should just go ahead and do it. Maybe they’ll love it. For the rest of us, we continue on with our working platforms.

I have a Surface Book 2 (8th-gen i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD). I have fought with latency issues from time to time but once I got it all settled, there was one time everything reverted after working well for months. I spent so much time troubleshooting and was so annoyed… eventually looked at my power setting in the system tray and it was “Balanced” instead of full power. I must have switched it once while using it as, you know, a laptop where I needed battery power, and it stuck on that. Usually it switches back when AC power is applied, but this time it didn’t.

I was annoyed at MS, Cubase, NI (hw and sw) and then eventually once I figured it out was annoyed at myself. :slight_smile: Once I set power to full everything was good again, and has been since.

Some plugins aren’t multi-threaded AND are very heavy (looking at you, Omnisphere) so I use Unify to split out say, 8 layers of Omnisphere plugins and the Unify feature PolyBox which plays each note I play into each successive layer, making Omnisphere work in 8 threads at a time. Things like this make such a massive difference. If I played those 8 notes in Omnisphere standalone I might get some glitching, depending on the complexity of the patch (i.e. a Multi). But split out in Unify? Perfect.

Couple of years down the line - just saw this and made me smile. My first computer was a BBC with 32k of RAM. I ran a program called UMI which was a pattern based sequencer using a simple teletext presentation, and which worked surprisingly well. Next up, I progressed to the BBC ‘Master’ 128 - with a whopping 128k. UMI migrated to eproms which slotted into the top of the computer and which allowed for near instant access - no load time. The developer of the software, Lynton Naiff, an excellent keyboard player and arranger, was seriously considering migrating the program to the RISC based Archimedes, but the Atari came along (in Europe, primarily) and mopped up the market so fast that it would have been a pointless investment. That computer may well have been leaps ahead of the other domestic offerings of the time. And here we are, 40 years on…

1 Like