New Look Light Theme

Is this something that could be applied to older builds?

I know that Brad wasn’t exactly asking for input, but…

I would not really be interested in this modified Light Theme (although I do think it is an improvement), but I WOULD be very interested in is a Theme similar to the Dark Theme, but with a slightly lighter gray for the background instead of straight black. Maybe something like RGB = #404040 (hex).

Not right now because I’ve cleaned up the theme file a little so there’s a few incompatibilities. In retrospect I should make it backwards compatible, then the new theme should work on old builds too. Leave it with me.

Possibly. I’ve been thinking about doing another theme along these lines but that laziness thing keeps kicking in :). In the meantime, you could have a crack at it yourself.

I thought I remembered seeing that this was possible, but I was also too lazy to spend any time on it - plus the fear (probably unfounded) that future updates would break a custom theme.

Here’s the new light theme that will work in the current builds. Just place it in the Cantabile installation folder.

Light.theme (1.6 MB)

Hey Roland,

How does this look? It’s based on #404040

here it is … :grinning:

DarkGrey.theme (2.5 KB)

Edit: Put smaller size theme up after using inherited directive in the json file.

Dave

6 Likes

I like it! And thanks for sharing! I might even tweak it slightly darker, like #303030, now that I see it. I will definitely be playing with it and probably make it my standard theme.

Nice Dave ! :smile: (my 20 characters required to post)

@Brad is there a reason why I would have a Topten Software folder in both Program Files AND Program Files (x86)? Dave’s new theme only got recognized when I put it into my Program Files folder.

The 32 bit version of Cantabile is installed in C:\Program Files (x86).
The 64 bit version is in C:\Program Files.

Thanks @Robb_Fesig. So if I’m only running the 64 bit version can I delete the other?

Just to be sure noting gets twisted, I would uninstall completely and re-install only the 64-bit version, You probably want to save your config files etc. in \Users[you]\AppData\Topten Software\Cantabile

I would say just let it go… It’s 20 megabytes, and Cantabile doesn’t run in the background or have any processes launching on startup.

Good to know - was wondering why there was a TopTen folder in (x86)

Here’s a smaller version of Dave’s DarkGrey theme.

DarkGrey.theme (808 Bytes)

Rather than include all the graphic assets directly it just inherits them from the Dark theme. This also means if the Dark theme is updated with new graphic assets, DarkGrey will get those new images automagically.

See here for more about theme inheritance, but basically I just added "baseTheme": "Dark" at the top of the JSON file and removed all the .png files.

(@dave_dore if you edited any of the png files, you can just add those modified ones to the new theme and they’ll override the images from the base theme).

2 Likes

OK, thanks @brad, I should have been less hasty and I would have read that Doh! Waaay smaller. I did have to edit about 6 to 8 .png files so I will take your kind offering and add them to it and repost it in it’s smaller form.

Dave

2 Likes

Posted the smaller DarkGrey Theme using the ‘inherit magic’ :mage: above in the original post.

Thanks again Brad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“I find a lighter shade on stage hard to use” ~ Corky

I agree 100%. I changed the background in Windows to black so that I was not lighting up my face every time I went to the main screen. Dark themes are vastly preferable when on stage or low-light venues.

1 Like

@dave_dore

Dave

I decided to use your “celery” theme after going through a few songs. Last nights gig started very well. My eyes were acclimating to the new look, BUT things went south very quickly when some of the color in my lyrics pages (show notes) clashed with celery theme, and made some of the lyrics impossible to decipher. (I use color change on lyrics to confirm state changes) Other than trying to change lyric colors on several songs, I will be using my normal dark theme at tonight’s gig. :wink:

Thanks for the theme though. I enjoyed it for a short while. My ancient eyes were screaming for the dark theme anyway. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Corky, I didn’t factor that into things obviously …lol but I was wondering if the default light C3 theme had some of the same effects with you colored lyrics?

Dave