New Leslie Vst from IK Multimedia

Just purchased and installed Leslie (T-RackS 5). Crashes in C3 when I try to open the VST UI. Tried the standalone version, crashes, too. Opened a ticket with IK Multimedia. I suspect graphics incompatibility somewhere.

In addition (or more accurately before the ‘spikes’ problem) I also had an issue with the midi triggering of the Leslie Fast/Slow from the Brake position. Basically, if the ‘Cab’ window is open then from ‘Brake’ pressing the slow-fast switch immediately operates the Leslie correctly. If the window is closed, or the ‘Amp’ window is open, then from ‘Brake’ nothing happens. The only way to get it to work is to set the Brake switch to ‘Toggle’ (I’m using a Line 6 pedal box though the problem is the same however it’s switched) but this means first pressing the Brake switch, then the slow/fast switch. In other words two footswitch movements instead of one. Open the ‘Cab’ window and it works correctly. In other words just like a normal Leslie - Brake to Slow, or Brake to Fast. I had some correspondence with IK Multimedia, including sending a video of the problem which they asked for and which demonstrated the issue perfectly, but although initially quite helpful eventually they seemed to lose interest and no one came back with any further suggestions as to a solution.

I also think this is related to the windows in Amplitube Leslie but I can’t leave the ‘Cab’ window open as naturally it obscures the rest of Cantabile. It’s a pity because it prevents the ‘normal’ functioning of the Leslie controls. it’s a brilliant piece of software but it’s frustrating when the company doesn’t respond properly. I’ll keep trying with them as if it’s fixed it will be (in my opinion) the best simulator out there and will mean I don’t have to take my rather heavy 147 out with me!

By the way, I tried the demo of T-racks but the cpu ‘spikes’ issue was the same. I couldn’t quite match up the sound that I’m getting from the Amplitube version but that’s probably because I didn’t spend enough time on it.

@clp560
I really didn’t like the fact that the brake wasn’t part of the slow-fast switch like other sims. It has taken other companies many tries to understand what users need and want, so hopefully IK Multimedia will update accordingly. Still waiting on screen shots.

@RackedBrain
It displays perfectly and runs perfectly on C3 for me on WIN 7 X64. Are you running the 32 bit Leslie in a 64 bit C3?

I can’t even get it to run in stand alone mode. Same with Native Acess. I’m pretty sure it has to do with hi-res graphics.

I started to make too many screenshots and lost track of what I was doing as I didn’t write it all down! I’ll start again :slight_smile: Meanwhile I tried the T-racks version again and realised there was no problem with the Leslie switching whether its window was open or not. One Line 6 footswitch set to ‘single’ and routed to ‘Brake’, one to Slow/Fast. From ‘Brake’ pressing the Slow/Fast releases the brake and one tap on the ‘Brake’ switch does just that i.e. no second press because it had to be set to ‘toggle’. I’ll contact IK Multimedia to let them know that this is how the Amplitube version should be working. Maybe they’ll let me change versions…

I also have the impression that, on a second tryout, the T-racks version is using less cpu after all. At 512 buffer any larger peaks are not resulting in dropouts or clicks so far even when using other plugins. I’ll organise those screenshots and maybe you and others may spot something I’m not seeing.

1 Like

Been running tests with T-racks leslie on Blue 3 for over an hour, and I must say, it really gives this plug some great character! I like Blue 3 as it is, but with this leslie, I am hearing more swirl at slow speed and better separation between the horn and drum. Still tweaking, but like what I am hearing. Could the Blue 3 leslie be the big change in version 2.0? If so, it could be a game changer from what I am discovering by applying IK leslie.

Ok Chaps,

You’ve all had a few days to loose sleep tooling with the new VB3 II with IK Leslie, What are the verdicts? Is it the best combo yet for that Hammond Leslie “Sound”?

Dave

Yes. And VB3 Classic too. They each actually have a certain likable character of their own.

1 Like

Are you mixing your dirt in using both the VB3 and Leslie units Fred? What’s a pleasing mix in your opinion?

Well, I’ve been using the Amplitube Leslie for a couple of months now and it’s the best sim I’ve come across. I use the 147 amp/147 Speaker combination with AS B5 and it’s the closest I’ve come to feeling like I’m playing my real Hammond. Unusually (I suppose) I’m using it through two Bose L1s and the problem with other sims (including the Neo Ventilator) has been the marked difference in sound between ‘Brake’ and Slow/Fast. With my real Leslie it’s simply the straight sound on ‘Brake’ and then the Leslie is added. No change of characteristic other than the Leslie effect, of course! The IK Leslie achieves this really well.

I tried the VB3 MkII but controlling it from my XK3 (nrpn midi for everything) is too difficult and I must say I prefer the B5 anyway. As you know from my earlier post I had some issues with the IK Leslie and large spikes in cpu but upping the buffer to 512 has rid me of the dropouts and clicks and the higher latency is not noticeable to me. There is also still a Leslie switching issue which seems to be related to the Amplitube window and although initially helpful, the IK helpdesk seems to have gone very quiet, despite my discovery that the problem is not apparent in the T-Racks version.

Paul

2 Likes

I’m still messing with that, and with adding other tube simulators in between. I still like VB3 Classic better for overdrive, and Mk II for cleaner and light grit. If I had to guess I’d say it’s maybe a 50/50 blend but right now there’s no set formula.

1 Like

@dave_dore

Dave

As I stated above, the IK works much better as an enhancer, not a source. So, if you are trying to get dirt (and we all know everyone has their own opinion about it), find a source of the grit you can live with whether it is achieved thru your Hammond plug, an amp sim, a pre-amp, whatever. Once you get that, add the IK, and play with it’s settings until you reach smile status. :grin:

As far as most other Hammond sounds, IK does a great job with them as well. I have collected many Hammond clones over the years, so I dragged the unused, waste of $$ ones out, just to see what would happen thru IK. B4, Vintage Organs, Charlie, UVI Retro Organ Suite, 8Dio Studio Vintage Series Studio Organ, Arturia B3…and others. The Sample based organs had a good Leslie sound, but no acceleration and deceleration. The modeled ones had leslies that sounded, at best, like a cheesy vibrato. IK improved them all, but not all them had a good Hammond sound.

8Dio has a great sounding Hammond, and was killer thru IK. They have both, a sample based, and modeled Leslie that ruins the Hammond. The problem is, I don’t need 1GB of memory being used for the plug.
B4 and Vintage Organs “basically” have cheesy sounding Leslies (not intended to start a war, just my opinion). IK brings these old plugs to life.
The UVI and Arturia also come to life with IK, but, again, I have better choices.
Through the years I tried other Leslie sims, like Melda, VB3fx, PSP Lotary, and others. IK bitch-slaps all of them.
So now, I have 4 great choices for Hammond sound, B5, VB3 1.4, VB3 II, and Blue 3. I like them all for different reasons. Their stock Leslies are far better than anything we’ve had in the past. Add IK to them, voila.

We’ve only had the VB3 II for over a week now, and already people are “poo-pooing” it. It is NOT an upgraded version of VB3. It is something quite different. I personally like like it. I like the resident Leslie too. I used it in 2 songs at a gig this past weekend, and it cut thru very well. I am going to test the IK with other Hammonds this coming weekend, but IMHO B5 doesn’t gain much with IK; it’s Leslie really defines it’s sound. Blue3 becomes warmer with IK.

Defining "the best combo yet for that Hammond Leslie “Sound” is going to always be an opinionated battle. Until you ditch the presets and get under the hood of these plugs, you’ll never know what the possibilities are. I perform different styles of music. I did some recording for a prog band a few weeks ago. I play old soul and funk, classic rock, alternative rock, country and blues. I laid down two tracks for a metal band a few months ago. All have their own needs, especially when using a Hammond. This is why I have 4 different clones at my behest. If you walk into a room with 4 Hammonds, and play each one, they will all sound different and have their own character. (And if I were able to do that, I would achieve a multi-orgasmic audio-sexual high)

All that needless word rabble being said, VB3 II with IK Leslie ain’t bad for achieving many great Hammond sounds. Much better than hauling the real monster and can change models without moving another in. :wink: Still waiting on Blue3 V2 tho.

1 Like

No one is “poo-pooing” VB3 2. At least, I don’t think. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We are saying that it isn’t quite what we expected it to be and, because it is rather a different animal than 1.4, we can’t say it’s a definitive improvement. There are elements of both I like the other doesn’t have. I wish v2 di everything v1.4 did, AND more, but it works out fine this way.

That was a general statement about in the “wide web”:laughing:
Other forums

1 Like

I mistakenly posted this to Fred, but it was meant as a general reply. Having recently jumped into the world of VST’s from only having self contained keys has been an eye opener. In the past I had many different keys, all with their attempts to emulate the Leslie. After taking the plunge, I only had Vintage with its stock Leslie. While a huge improvement over other keys I’ve had with Leslie sim pedals, it still was lacking. Recently, I took the plunge on VB3 1.4, Blue3, the IK Leslie running in T-RackS and the demo of L’otary. I can honestly say, I like them all for various different reasons, too lengthy to detail here.

I don’t play guitar, but for those who do, some have 1-2 and others have 10-12. It’s all a matter of preference and I’m sure each of us can find something good to say about all of these plugs. Whether it justifies dropping the coin for every one that comes out is up to the buyer. What you do and how and what you play is truly unique to each musician. It is an endless debate because it is subjective.

As long as developers continue to put out demo versions to try before you buy, there will always be an opportunity to add one more piece of ammunition to your arsenal. Whether you use it, is totally up to you.

Having said that, I can agree with Corky about the IK Leslie. I had planned on changing out a lot of my presets in Vintage, but first decided to see what running them through the IK would do to them. :astonished: A huge improvement. I am now thinking how many of those presets can I keep. As I have more time, I will do a much deeper dive into each of these, but right now, I can give the IK :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Aw man, if that’s true that sucks. Poor Guido, after people clamoring for it all this time.

I think Guido is a genius at what he does. I am sure he is a great guy too. I have seen that through the many years of navigating his site. Problem is, he waited too long and let others catch up to him. Too bad, but good for us, because the competition has never been stronger. He really should have named V2 something else, as not to expect everyone else to think it is an upgrade of 1.4. V2 is great tho, and I still applaud his fine work.

Hey Fred,

On the subject of Amp sims, there are recently added free offerings from Blue Cat. Their destructor algo is supposed to be a new sound. Might be worth a look

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreeAmp/

It sounds great to me!

Dave

2 Likes

Free pre-amps and pedals at Mercuriall also. Been testing their stuff, sounds great.
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

1 Like

Yep, I’ve been using Mercuriall.

1 Like