Most efficient use of CPU?

I’m getting ready to start setting up for a musical theatre production that relies heavily on programming, more so than I’ve done to date. Multiple setups per song with very specific layering, key ranges and transpositions in each setup.

I’ll be using NI/Kontakt Player for everything that I need to cover. I know how to set Kontakt Player to set the ranges/transpositions/layering/etc. and I know how to do it within Cantabile as well. My question is whether one method is going to be more efficient in terms of CPU usage, overall strain on the laptop that this is all running from.

So the question, I think, is which is the better idea:

A) One instance/route of Kontakt with all the instruments, transpositions, key ranges, etc. set up within Kontakt Player

or

B) A route/instance of Kontakt for each needed separate instrument with transpositions, key ranges, etc. set up within each route in Cantabile.

Hope that makes some kind of sense…

Allen

Allen,

I use wind instruments from Samplemodeling and they suggest using one instance of Kontakt per instrument to lessen CPU stress.

Doug

My opinion is regarding CPU stress it’s negligible if you use on instance or five. Even if this has an impact on the CPU it should be very small.

But using separate instances will give you much better oversight and routing-capabilities within Cantabile and this is worth the potential extra “load”.

But: Please set Kontakt to Single-Core if you use multi-core-support within Cantabile (or vice versa).

2 Likes

100% agree - keep your Kontakt setups clean and simple (single sound, dry) and do the fancy stuff like routing, layering, keyboard zones and effects with Cantabile. Makes for an easier workflow - plus, the debugging is far easier should something not go like you intended it…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes