MIDI Controllers and Live Performance

Interesting controllers, @Juergen. With the Minim, do you know if it’s possible to use it with a USB cable instead of Bluetooth? I have Bluetooth disabled on my live rig because it introduces fluctuation in Cantabile’s load (similarly I have wifi disabled). So it would be great if it could be used with a cable - I see it has a USB charging socket, but the question is, whether this socket can act USB MIDI. I can’t see any answers to this online, or in the Minim manual - I guess they’re pushing the wireless feature!

Neil

Neil, not sure if you are using Android or IOS, but here is an article by someone who got touchOSC to work via USB on IOS.

Terry

Thanks Terry, interesting article. However, my question is really about whether the Livid Minim MIDI controller can communicate to a host PC via a cable - all the product promotion about it is about Bluetooth. I guess I could link a Minim to a mobile phone via Bluetooth, and then to my PC via USB cable, but it doesn’t sound very gig-worthy!

Neil

Anyone ever tried the Infinite Response VAX-77?

My new Holder for Surface Pro …Top!

UP Exelium …Universal support + flex mount

1 Like

I’ve been using a Novation 61SL MKII keyboard when I need to bring mine. When I can use an acceptable house keyboard, I have a Novation Zero SL–the control surface with no keyboard. The programming and MIDI SYSEX are exactly (well mostly) the same. Both provide 8 faders and a bunch of buttons and knobs. Sometimes (as required) I use a Kurzweil k2661 lower tier. It isn’t too heavy and provides a “just in case”. I don’t use any of the MIDI faders and buttons to control C3. For the big gig I have a K2500x that I could use, but really never wanted to drag it around anymore.

I’ve been using the Novations since Forte days and can’t say I’ve had any serious issues. I used to have a massive Bome MT setup to enable Forte. Got rid of it for simplification after I figured out how to do most everything with C3.

1 Like

Hi All,

A new Digital Piano/Controller is coming from Roland Corp. The Roland RD 2000 will available soon (March 2017) and is a big improvement on the RD 800 which I have been playing for a year or so. I love the high resolution keyswitch action, the weighting of the keybed (PHA-4), the weight (47 lb). The new model adds a ton of midi computer interface capability plus all 1200 of the RD 800 sounds (Supernatural and PCM modeled) and new addition of V-piano models. As a controller for Ivory and other Sampled Vsti Pianos it has changed the way I play in a good way.

Dave

3 Likes

Holy Cow! – That RD 2000 looks like a dream rig alright! :heart_eyes:

Terry

A Roland- with wheels! In a pain-in-the-ass place, sure, but they’re there at least! :smiley:

A new one from M-Audio with weighted action and included software. Looks very clean and just 38 pounds!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hammer88

faq here:

http://www.maudio.com/kb/article/2319

The word is it will be available very soon…

Dave

Interesting! ! They have a price on it yet?

About 400 US bills …

Thanks for the info Dave

OT reminder: If you stack keyboards, you need to slant them so your wrist remains straight. You should be able to draw a straight line through the wrist from the elbow to the first knuckle. Also, the keyboards in the picture are way too far apart. If you are standing, the bottom one will kill your wrist. If you’re sitting, the top one will make you hike your shoulders - think pain. There’s no compromise body position that will allow a person to play both keyboards for four hours without damage. I speak as someone who used to do 4-5 five hour “no break” solo gigs.

3 Likes

Good points ohernie :slight_smile: This is why doing everything from a single good controller keyboard is quite desirable.

Neil

That is a good point. I saw Jerry Lee Lewis a few weeks ago, and even he has stopped standing on the piano bench while playing, lol!

3 Likes

I think pipe organs have shown, historically, that multiple “keyboards” do work and can be ergonomic. In fact, that’s what I based my comment about slanting keyboards on.

I think the ideal minimal setup requires two keyboards, one weighted, one “not so much”. Playing organ parts on a weighted action creates the wrong mindset. You can’t “flip” your fingers around the keys. Organ playing also requires shifting fingers smoothly to new keys while holding other keys down. Not as easy on a weighted keyboard. At the same time, it’s very difficult to do octave runs cleanly on a non-weighted action. Semi-weighted actions are a necessary abomination. What’s really needed is an action that uses momentum rather than springs as the opposing force. I’m pretty sure we’re going to see people’s hands ruined by stiff semi-weighted actions.

Multiple keybeds and volume pedals have also been a way of getting around patch changes, again, as in pipe organs.

1 Like

Stacked keys are fine, if they’re high enough (and you don’t spend all your time on the really high ones). I’ve recently become a lot more of a jerk about what keyboard stands get provided for me at gigs though. The show in Canada was the last straw- they got Quik-loks and I won’t deal with those ever again. They just don’t go high enough and stay stable. So they wound up low and you either have to play in a ridiculous rock squat all night or let your wrists bend back at well over a 45 degree angle which I can’t deal with. Unless I’m playing piano I like unweighted actions. Can’t play clean runs- tell that to a Hammond player!! (Er, a good one lol)

1 Like

Multi-tier stands are a “don’t get me started”. I finally gave up and made my own second tier out of copper pipe. Very accurate to cut, more or less adjustable , and sturdy. It’s a stock Ultimate Support stand. I drilled and tapped the hole at the end for a 3/8" bolt, put a bolt through and secured it with a jam nut. I’ve replaced the wing nuts with open ended ones used to hold spare tires. I have several different 2nd tiers. This one is actually for one keyboard with a plexiglass shelf on top to hold my laptop & lyric book. Note the door stop bumpers I’m using to raise the front edge of the keyboard. This is from awhile back. I’ve gone to all PDF’s and raised the height of the stand so it doesn’t need the doorstops anymore. That second tier actually has three sets of holes so I can play sitting or standing. I have another one that accommodates a weighted piano, Motif ES and a plastic top shelf. The velcro around the edges is for a table skirt. It’s hokey but the seniors I play for don’t care and it looks a whole lot better than the mess underneat.

Don’t know why it’s not there, but I usually have the pedals attached to a board that’s covered with carpet. The pedals have velcro so they are semi-permanent. There’s also two screws that go through t-nuts up into the legs of the stand so it can’t slide around. Also gives the stand a tiny bit of tilt. For the record, this is my non-softsynth system.

3 Likes

Looks pretty good, and serves your purpose well. So many great minds on this forum.

Just don’t tell @FredProgGH that it is based with a Quik-lok! We should keep that a secret!