Full Backup feature suggestion

Time to revisit an old topic.

I am working on a backup system. I already store my Cantabile related stuff in Dropbox. My problem is that it is almost impossible to get the vst files to install in the same path as my main system. Before I start playing, is it possible to just move the vsts to “standard” folders? How cranky do the installers get when there is an update. Do you just keep “copies” in the “standard” folders?

Thanks!

Rick

Unfortunately, it’s not only the actual core VST .dll files that need to be on both machines, it’s also all kinds of supporting files, preset data, waveform data etc that sits in various locations on your drive (AppData, ProgramData, Users.…), so it’s really near impossible to keep plugin installations up to date without actually doing the full install process on both machines.

I’ve given up on any funky backup mechanisms for my plugins - I just make sure that whenever I do updates, I do them on both my live machines. I have a small homebrew tool that lets me compare installed plugins on both machines and shows me if there are different versions (as long as they provide version information) between machines. I do such a check-up every now and then, especially before important gigs, so I feel safe…

No easy answer, I’m afraid…

Cheers,

Torsten

Do not forget the :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: windows registry! :frowning_face:
Relevant information is also stored there.

Gabriel