Disable background rack on per song basis

Does anybody know of a way to disable or re-route incoming midi notes to the background rack?
My scenario is:
Background rack contains bindings but also a permanently loaded percussion vst which is played from the pads on my Novation Impulse.
One song needs a different sound not available in the background rack so I load in to the song a rack with the required sound.
I set the routing of the pad on the Impulse to the song rack but of course it still goes to the background rack.
Try as I may I can’t find a way of turning off or re-routing the incoming midi to avoid a double sound.
Thanks for any help.
Chris

Hey Chris,

You could have more than one background rack state. One that allowed the midi to reach the perc vst in background rack and one that blocks the route. The only hassle is you would have to open the background rack to change states back and forth and then close when done. Hope this helps.

Here’s a shot of my background rack, it has multiple states depending on what I’m doing.

Dave

2 Likes

Hi Dave, Yes, I’d thought of having different states but as you say I’d have to open the global rack to set the state. What I’ve done in the mean time is to have a tambourine as the default and then when the 808 clap comes in they sort of work together. Not ideal. Could probably set up a different template on the Impulse so that the pad is assigned a different midi note or channel then route that to the clap. Unfortunately the Impulse templates don’t respond to midi changes.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Hey Chris,

I looked at this a little more and discovered this. You can change the background rack state using “on song load” triggers in the actual song and have the triggers change the state of the background rack to have your routing control. The screenshot shows the bindings for both the song level and the background rack.

It’s a remote way to get there !

Dave

1 Like

You could use loopback ports as I described in this thread:

It’s an uncommon way, but works just fine!

Hi @doobopuk

This is why I don’t really recommend putting instruments in the background rack. Better of putting your percussion instrument in a rack on its own and then putting that rack in all your songs (except the one).

Good food for thought though - I’ll think about this some more.

Brad

1 Like

A really interesting thread which I’d missed.Thanks @fantomXR, some great ideas there, but @dave_dore your solution works perfectly for me and is so simple. I’d got half way there but hadn’t considered the use of triggers. @brad, I take your point, but I really don’t want to edit all my songs, 50+, with adding the percussion rack. It’s one of those things that changes from song to song and gig to gig which is why I put it in the BR. The exception is not to use it.
Thanks all.
Update:
‘On Load’ worked fine but I couldn’t get the ‘On Unload’ trigger to work. Manually using the small arrowhead next to the trigger worked both in the BR and the Song but it just seemed that unload wouldn’t work when switching songs. I’ve now got it to work by using an external pad and the BR containing just one entry that responds the incoming midi note.
State Midi off set to ‘Load specific state (delayed)’
State Midi on set to 'Previous state (delayed)

Chris

1 Like

What build are you running? There was an issue with Unload trigger that was fixed already.

I checked it on the latest build 3238 not working for triggers on unload but working for some other functions on unload.

Hi @dave_dore - could you send me some more details on exactly what’s not working.

Hey Brad,

I sent an email with attachments

Dave