Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Just a little diddy for your enjoyment

4 Likes

That’s the best Deep Purple cover ever period!

It probably is one of the best. Another one came to mind…

1 Like

IK’s Hammond B-3X has been with us over a year now, with a few sprinkled updates since. Even though I’ve asked for improvements, most of my suggestions fell to the wayside. It was apparent early on that IK had no clue how many people use keyboard controllers (especially us Cantabile users). It seemed as if the software was modeled for use with modern Hammond digital organs.

Here is one, of many, things that drives me nuts. I’ve been using an upper level 49 key controller for years as my virtual Hammond. My choice for various reasons I won’t discuss here. B-3X falls short in my quest to use key presets. On the Controls View page (supposedly for live use), there are buttons representing the key presets. Most everything on this page can be automated thru MIDI…but not those buttons. So, if I want to select an A or B key switch, I have to grab a mouse, zero in on the button, and click on the button. Not a feasible option for live performance. Other Hammond clones have Key Switch parameters.

That said, yes I could use a larger controller and mark the Preset keys, or I could lower the controller octaves, hit the keyswitch, raise the octave, then catch up to the song in progress. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I unsuccessfully tried using a controller pad, and higher keys to trigger the particular key switch note. The thing is, I shouldn’t have to find alternatives for something the developer should have included.

I normally use drawbar sliders, in a constant tone search during a song, but it would be nice to use keyswitches occasionally on less busy songs…just like a “real” Hammond.

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone has a work-around, I would love to see it. I am very confident Cantabile will prevail. :wink::grin:

Regards

Corky

OK, I’ll bite, I have some thoughts on it but would like to know how you were going to do the Key switching if it was supported. Are you wanting to use buttons on the 49 controller? If so you can try using bindings like this that take the CC output from your controller buttons and converts it to MIDI notes that you use to hit the key-switches. The only worry is that you don’t use want CC numbers that the Hammond plug already has reserved so that would need attending to. Anyway this works for your case I think if I’m getting it. In effect your are adding the extra couple of reverse colored keys to the 49’er using the buttons …

Dave

Hi Dave

Yeah hardware buttons, or pads. So, if I touch a hardware button, it activates the black “B” note. I touch another hardware button to activate the white “Bb” note. It should deactivate the other note when pressed…at least that’s the way it works manually. I wish the buttons representing the key switches on the Controller page were MIDI assigned…would make this easier. Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Sure, re-read my original post, I added the fix I had in mind there :slight_smile:

So you fixed this earlier?

Well no, I meant I edited the post where i offered help to include my idea. It had the bindings I had in mind shown there in a pic …

“Ah…I see” said the blind man.

Will give it a shot and get back to you.

@dave_dore

Not working. Also tried triggering with other notes…no go.

Strange, it works here, is the BX3 in a rack? Just wonder what you routes look like to the plugin … I will PM

Many thanks to @dave_dore !! If others want to know how to use controller pads to change key switches on B-3X, this is how we did it.

Controller pads, for the most part, do not transmit CC numbers…they transmit notes. Something I had forgotten, but was so evident in the MIDI monitor…my bad. Since developers decided they would be “drum” pads, they set them to transmit on MIDI Channel 10, and aligned the notes to MIDI drum notes standard.

5 Likes

Acoustic Samples B-5 Version 3 released …

INFO HERE:

I smell new presets. :grin:

Acoustic Samples B5-V3 was just reduced to 69 Euros !!!

1 Like

Stumbled across Reese Wynans watching the Allman Bros 50th anniversary concert. That led me to Reese Wynans and Friends 2019 “Sweet Release”. One of my favorite drummer/bass pairs, Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon are on most songs. Great B3 playing that’s nicely situated in the mix.

1 Like

Nice layout. I just watched the whole video. It was a very deft presentation that has me seriously considering buying it.