Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

BTW, that is a good approach. I would have been a little hesitant to cut the FC7 cable because sometimes the contents are those wonderful ‘unsolderable wisps’ which only people with magic powers can connect. As you’ve taken the plunge, I might risk it. :slight_smile:
XLR way better approach - and the FC7 pedals are good.
One thing that’s worth noting is that the full range of control is very well represented when the M-Audio pedal is plugged into an M-Audio keyboard. The same pedal intp the Fatar could not be encouraged to get all the way from one end of the scale to the other.
My trusty Elka MK88 is not so trusty at the moment. It always played nicely with FC7s - but it needs surgery after a stand collapsed with it on the top. :cry:

@bpeterson1123

rotor speeds, spin up/down times, motor noise, equalization, etc. I am currently pairing it with Acousticsamples B-5 organ V3, which to me sounds better than IK Multimedia’s B-3X with the built-in Leslie simulator. It’s also less resource intensive and with a more responsive UI than B-3X. At 50 bucks, I think the rotary plugin alone is more than worth the money and you get the organ thrown in.

1 Like

I moved it.

I spent 45 minutes with it. Tone Wheels really sound good. Leslie is not bad after making few adjustments. There are several pages of edits on everything. It looks like they will be adding different models and fx in the future. Understand, this was made for Gospel, but I am sure I can “Jon Lord” it up after some more time. The Leslie has a “knocking” noise on the horn…kinda like the horn is hitting the cabinet, but I cured that with mic position. Will get more experience time, and report back. I hope @bpeterson1123 gives us more insight as he spends more time with it.

1 Like

Big thanks to @bpeterson1123 for sharing this!

1 Like

Who else but you would know how to turn a gospel organ into a “Jon Lord”? :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

An instrument based on samples - would be hard to convince me but I’m always interested.

1 Like

Well, the H[quote=“cpaolo, post:2006, topic:3330, full:true”]

Who else but you would know how to turn a gospel organ into a “Jon Lord”? :wink: :rofl:
[/quote]

Well, the Hammond organ was designed as an affordable church organ, not for what it came to be famous for in the rock world…

Look forward to hearing what Corky can do.

2 Likes

Maybe in the US, in Italy you will find many Viscount or other local brands, both frequency division and sampled, but certainly not an A100 or a C3.
Except for the time when I was studying piano and organ, I am not much of a churchgoer, and the only Hammond I have seen was an M100, ages ago. Of course I tried to buy it, but it’s not easy to do business with a priest. :rofl:

But that’s exactly what happened, IMO.

I’m very curious as well.

1 Like

Working on it!

2 Likes

I bought it too and so far I’m very disappointed. Hopefully version 2 will have some things ironed out. The main thing that excited me about it was seeing so MANY needed parameters to dial in your sound that other makers have failed to include in their clones. All of them should take notice of this and get to work!

I’ve noticed quirks like odd popping noises and notes from higher ranges while playing chords and holding lower notes. I also think it has a distortion problem even at low volumes. A lot of issues do not occur when the rotary effect is turned off. I’ve tried removing all the extras in the rotary section and still couldn’t get a sound I liked. I’ve spent several hours with this thing over a couple of days and I’m at the point of giving up. Some things are just too irritating about it that keeps me from spending more time with it.

Good luck Corky, I hope you get it figured out.

1 Like

There is no doubt they have more to do. They also set this thing up as if it was a synth. Filters and sine waves? Really? Oh well.
I will say great tone wheels and Leslie. This is really good for church, but not so good for Prog Rock. :grin:
The “dirt” they use is terrible. They have more things to do, but I think they will make it much better, especially after I contact them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I guess you have the horse’s head ready to drop into their bed if they do not comply! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s a question for the remote controllers out there…
It has always driven me bonkers that the vibrato upper lower buttons are arranged with the upper at the lower position. I have never got my head around it, and as my remotes are bi-di lights at best and ‘poke it and see which way round it is’ dumb buttons, there’s no text feedback. Even if there was, my instincts still think ‘upper = right’.
What do the panel think about reversing their order on the remote? Is that sacrilegious?
(Notwithstanding that the drawbars also present that way… but even I have sense to let that alone.)

Let me clarify my original recommendation of this plugin. I think the Leslie simulator is fantastic. However, the organ plugin itself is middling in my opinion and much better suited to church/gospel music. I am only using the Gospel Rotary VST at this point. If improvements are made to the organ, including additional models beyond the A100, I would give the organ plugin another go.

BTW, Gospel Organ has an update on their website (user account section). It is version 1.02 RC 2, so it doesn’t sound like it is a production release. Nonetheless, I have installed it and will start playing with it.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting the update.
Version 1.0.2 consists of:

• Fixed Crashing with 11-Band EQ
  • Updated Vibrato LFO Features
  • NEW Horn Scooped Mids
  • Dynamic Vibrato on Leslie Switch
  • Double Bass
  • Foot Pedal Mirroring
1 Like