Collection of free VST (instruments & effects)

Hmmm, good to know - thanx!

These days, I mostly use FabFilter plugins for EQ and compression - that’s just what I’m used to from my DAW work. But of course, these aren’t free (but they’re GREAT!)

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Not really. It’s one thing to program a synth for a hobby and give it away as a VST but most sampling, especially of acoustic instruments, costs $$. You need good mics, a proper controlled environment, a lot of time, possibly people to play the instruments, and THEN months of programming- it can be a real undertaking and not generally something those involved want to give away the results from :wink: That said almost every major sampling company has a freebies page, usually with some very cool things.

But not full orchestra libraries :smiley:

2 Likes

Stumbled on this thread when looking for all the gems in the forum.

I have bought a cheap used Arturia keyboard (Keylab 25), and registered it with Arturia, then getting all the instruments available. Might be a shortcut for getting some of the sounds you are looking for in a decent quality.

2 Likes

Arturia software is very nice indeed.
Better than their keyboards :joy:
I recently bought keylab 49 second hand and had to return it. Keys are junk. I can’t take that on stage. Pitty because the keyboard had everything i wanted.
So it’s interesting indeed to buy the keylab for software.

I’m a big fan of synth1. I just keep in returning to it for basic sound creation.
Takes no CPU or ram either. 10000 presets available. I love it.
Xpand2 is not free but sometimes 1 Euro. Has a nice library and loads very fast. Very useful.

Hey Sven,

just out of interest: was that the original version or the new mk2 version? I’m looking for something a bit more dependable than my Alesis VI49…

Cheers,

Torsten

The Original one, it’s a know problem. Keys are toy quality. Pitty because all the rest was 200% what I needed.

I think they worked on it in the mk2.
But I just don’t get it why they switched all the controllers.
Pads are handy on the right and sliders on the left, right? Or am I wrong? :wink:

I’m sticking with Samson. Although those keys are other rubbish china quality. After some gigs it’s like you had a fight with it :-/ luckily you can glue them.
Samson also has aftertouch… I use that allot.

Actually, I like my pads on the left: I use them to trigger samples and as large buttons to bind to Cantabile and LivePrompter functions. That’s easier to handle with my left hand while the right is busy (in most cases). Both my 49 key boards (Alesis VI49 and M-Audio Code 49 have the pads on the left side, so I’ve gotten used to that layout.

Cheers,

Torsten

Hm, yeah maybe you’re right :slight_smile: I should try it out.
These keys on mk2 seem to have the same prob, check the picture :wink:

I heard also users complaining about the usb plug coming loose. Even Woody!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fix+arturia+keylab

Why can’t they make decent sturdy road safe keyboards anymore??? :rage:

It would be great if we can leave the thread as clean as possible regarding the topic :blush:

But yes… Arturia sucks on keybeds and overall keyboards quality.

1 Like

I’m using a keylab mkii on stage and am very happy with the keyboard. It’s not top-notch but very playable and certainly not toy-quality. I did replace the small turning knobs for bigger ones to make them easier to handle with my big hands/fingers.

Good idea, let’s make a thread about it ! :slight_smile:
There it is

Here’s my two cents. You’ll find download links in the youtube description.

2 Likes

Hey @derVodi

thanx for sharing (and taking the time to produce the video) - some good stuff in there.

Just some gentle critical comments:

• calling Synth1 “the best virtual analog synthesizer emulator”, stating “all the others sound digital and thin” could be considered a bit myopic. OK, you might be forgiven parts of this simplification, given that this is all about FREE instruments (u-he & co will definitely blow Synth 1 out of the water sound-wise), but also the free range of synths by Björn Arlt of Full Bucket Music is great - and definitely not just “digital and thin”. Give them a try - you might be surprised! And of course Tyrell N6 is a great free virtual analog…

• The Nubi / Spinner combo makes me cringe, especially at fast leslie speeds - if it REALLY needs to be free, give Rumpelrausch AZR3 a chance - it can even be found at 64 bits - look here.

Like you, I really like the ReaPlug range - free, efficient, and easy to operate! Just one word of caution: I’ve used the ReaEQ in a number of my racks, and I’ve had issues with full bank state behavior, something I use frequently on EQs in order to have individual EQ settings for every rack state without having to create plugin presets for every state: ReaEQ is a bit temperamental around EQ resets, sometimes ignoring EQ changes when using “full bank”. Just something to be aware of - outside that, a great range of plugins!

Cheers,

Torsten

One addition re organs: you can still find the free Vox and Farfisa by Martinic on vst4free, even though the author doesn’t share them anymore (he’s now selling his Elka Panther VST).

Cheers,

Torsten

I replaced the Synth 1 part’s audio comment by a more neutral one and re-uploaded the video.

Concerning the Leslie… I also played around with Rumpelrausch, but I’m afraid it’s an integrated solution where you cant’t use the Leslie seperately from the Instrument.

I have to admit that I prefer using sampled organs and I need a seperate Leslie. I also use “Mr Donald” (Freeware Leslie VST) which sounds much more natural, but this VST disappeared from Web and is only 32 bit, so I didn’t want to advertise on it.

I enjoyed your video, your Dexed piano sounds great. Just as you snuck Synthmaster in :grinning: you probably should sneak Blue3 or VB3 II in also, they are just as inexpensive, included separate Leslie VST’s and sound fantastic.

I don’t think they are being updated now, but my favourite free VST is a Moog Taurus on this page of synths from Smart Electronix

Well worth checking out. If ever I want some weight in the bottom end, this is what I go for. 32 bit only, so you will need JBridge in Cantabile 64.

And as Torsten recommended, the U-HE Tyrell N6 is a great way of checking out their analog awesomeness in a free form.

YES, absolutely - life’s too short to mess around with awful Hammond and Leslie clones…

And of course every time that Derek posts about this I feel it my duty to chime in that I also love this thing. Used it today, in fact.

1 Like