Cantabile Code Freeze

Telegraph Road itself is an awesome song!
As far as best album, it is a tossup for me between this and Brothers in Arms. BiA has a special place in my heart as being the album that got me into Dire Straits in the first place. I still have the cassette copy on TDK-SA90 from CD of that album that I played to death in 1985!!! The sound quality of that album is still a benchmark by today’s standards!
I have to say though, Sultans of Swing is an amazing song too. I know every note of the guitar solos in that one intimately!!

Well this thread is right off the rails. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: (BTW I think LoG is a great album and BiA a terrible one. Sue me lol)

I dunno… this things is really testing me. :slight_smile:

btw: pleased to see I’m not the only Dire Straights fan here :). I gotta say though if I had to pick one of their songs, it’d be this. Sometimes you just can’t beat a beautifully played guitar melody.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. Absolute classic that one too.
Regarding the actual topic of this thread (lol), I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of this and become a more versatile programmer as a result.

How much ya got?!!! LOL! :smiley:

Not much. :smiley: I also really love the Making Movies album and I hate Bruce Springsteen. I think part of the reason is Mark’s guitar (obviously) and the lack of sax.

1 Like

Dang Fred…what did Bruce do to you? Was he the one that froze the code to Cantabile? :grin:

1 Like

Getting closer…

10 Likes

Brad, this thread is about Dire Straits. Please try and stay O/T!

:smiley:

4 Likes

LOL Fred!! :smile:

Looking good Brad. If anyone had any doubts about pronouncing Cantabile, they have no excuse now that it has been made known in a proper Aussie tongue. :wink:

1 Like

This isn’t too annoying is it?

1 Like

Not too bad for a 70’s gig, unless it sets off an epileptic episode. :smirk:

1 Like

I forget, can Cantabile load graphics for display? I want an animated mirror-ball GIF.

1 Like

Brad has a good start on the strobe, so maybe mirrored ball after the blacklight effect.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I broke the strobe… :slight_smile:

This was due to a bug (or perhaps by design - I’m in discussion with Microsoft about it) in Windows when in per-monitor dpi mode. To fix it I’ve made Cantabile intercept some calls between Windows and Kontakt to patch things so they’re friendly to each other. Scary, but it seems to work perfectly now and hopefully a temporary stop gap until Microsoft can fix it properly.

Also, I discovered that Skia (the drawing library that Cantabile depends on) has a dependency on a version of the MSVC runtime that’s not installed by default on Windows 7 or 8. One fix would be to ship those runtimes but at 13mb each (one for x64 and one for x86) that’d bring Cantabile’s setup program from just under 10mb to 36mb. Eww.

Instead I’ve just spent a day and half figuring out how to rebuild Skia without the dependency. Now instead of adding 26Mb (compressed) it’s added about 600K (uncompressed). Much better.

Argh. Fun times. Tomorrow, more testing…

4 Likes

Ah, the joys of software dependencies.

X needs Y, which needs Z, which doesn’t work with X…

So you upgrade X, which now doesn’t work with Y… :roll_eyes:

This is quite common in my world… :wink:

2 Likes

Kinda like working in a kindergarten, eh Derek? :crazy_face:

You love her, and she loves him, and he loves somebody else, you just can’t win.

2 Likes

Very close now. New build is pretty much ready to go. A little more testing in the morning, write up some docs and finally the freeze can come to an end (hopefully). :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Code Freeze Over!

2 Likes