Cantabile 3 lite won't start running Win 8 (SOLVED- Requires Win8.1 minimum)

Hi, New to VST hosts and after reading reviews online saw that Cantabile is probably the best place to start.

I have downloaded and installed Cantabile 3 lite on two different computers running windows 8 (one is a Toshiba tablet and the other an HP laptop). The same issue with both and same if I try to start the x86 or x64 version of the install. It won’t start.

I have task manager open and see that the app launches as shown in task manager, but it then disappears and I get no error message or crash report. The app doesn’t get as far as putting an icon in the windows toolbar.

As a test, I have installed Cantabile 2 and it launches fine and requested a license which worked.

Spent a bit of time looking for similar issues and couldn’t find anyone having the app stop this early when launched.

If this issue has been solved previously, could someone direct me to the threads?

Thanks,
JDude

Hi @JDude_AU,

I’ve just replied to your email - let me know how you go with those suggestions.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I’ll take a look and let you know.

Cheers

Yep. Although it looked to have installed the .NET during the C3 install, it had actually failed.

The manual install had an issue as well, but I’ll work at updating my OS until it is resolved.

Thanks for the quick response.

JDude

1 Like

Solved.

As you had suggested Brad, it was the .NET not installing issue. As it turns out, Microsoft .NET 4.7.1 is not supported by Windows 8 and will not install.
After updating my system to Win8.1 everything installed fine and Cantabile 3 is running well.

On another note- the difference between Cant2 and Cant3 is amazing. Almost no detectable lag when using Cant3.

Thanks again Brad.
JDude

My 2 cents opinion.
The vast majority of users here upgraded to win10 and currently have no issues.
Since it is still possible to migrate free of charge, I think this is a good path.
I did it at home as soon as it was possible.
I did it in my office recently.
In both cases I got only good effects.
Up to you…

Actually, there are past threads here concerning many problems with Win 10, and other threads about staying with Win 7. I am currently running Win 7 and Win 8.1, and plan to stay on them as long as I possibly can. Without stirring up the many opinions to upgrade to 10, I am on other sites where there are many people staying away from 10, and running very stable.

You are very right though…it is up to me. To each his own. I am glad the OP got his problem worked out. I also had to move from Win 8 to 8.1 for the same similar reasons. Running very smoothly.

In the larger music community the 1903 version and the 1909 beta are still giving trouble to users who had great performance on versions 1809 and 1803. Some updates helped some initially disappointed folks but there are still people with problems … I am still on 1803

Dave

1 Like

FWIW, yesterday’s build introduced changes to the installer to explicitly check for supported OS versions which are one of:

• Windows 7 (SP1)
  • Windows 8.1 or
  • Windows 10 (Anniversary Update)

(basically anything that’ll run .NET 4.7.1)

2 Likes

Very cool Brad!