Can't Create Initial Rack File. Best work flow?

Just getting started with V3.0. So far I have…

1. Created a New Song
  2. Added instruments ports and routing for this song. All is good so far. Everything is working.

But I can’t create a rack from this Song as the “Save Rack As” is ghosted. and this new song has no associated Rack, that shows up in the upper left corner per screen shots 2-4 of this Rack Guides

What is the best method of work flow, for not just building out a song but an entire set list, that loads all of the VST’s for a given set / nights gig.

1. Create a rack first, with all of the instruments that I might use in a set, so there is no reloading. And then create songs that reference this rack.

Or…???

P.S. - I have a pretty fast computer with 16 GB of ram, so creating a large rack that can handle all my songs would be preferable.

Hi John,

Yep the best way is to create racks with instruments/effects grouped in whatever makes sense for you and then setup your songs to reference those racks.

You can’t save a song as a rack - Save Rack commands are only active when editing a rack. That said if you really want to convert a song to a rack you can just change its file extension in Windows explorer and is should load as a rack. You can also move stuff to a rack multiply selecting all the plugins and Cut/Paste into the rack.

So in general the flow is:

1. Create your instrument and effect racks
  2. Create a song file for each song and optionally a set of states for each song part.
  3. Load the racks you need and for each song state, select the rack state that should be active for that part.

Once you’ve got all your songs setup, the set list is just a list of song files. You can build it up as you create each song. In fact if you have set list file open when you save a song for the first time it’ll prompt if you want to add the song to the set list.

Alternatively you can create a new set list, File -> New Set List, then File ->Add Songs to Set List and multiple select all the songs you want. You can then re-order the set list using Ctrl+Up/Down in the set list panel.

Brad

1 Like