Can a DXi sound module be used as an Output-MIDI option?

I posted a note on the KVR Forum re a VST sample player that can play back General MIDI files. Got back a reply to look at a product called SAMPLELORD, which I started to do by reviewing the user manual and downloading a demo version.

Would be curious if any folks are familiar with Samplelord and any thoughts about it.

For Brad… I agree that there is likely no need for creating a solution within Cantabile 3 for the issue in this thread. It would be nice, though, if whatever prevents the CoolSoft VirtualMIDIPlayer from working just like the Microsoft GS Wavetable does, could be resolved, as that would allow the use of some very nice GenMIDI soundfonts to replace the weak GS Wavetable samples. Note: the CoolSoft product also allows one to load a preferred GM soundfont, then selectively replace certain samples by loading additional soundfonts for specific needs, e.g. pianos, saxes, strings. In essence, the additional soundfonts will overlay the earlier soundfonts, so you can easily tweak your sound set to perfection!

Possibly in some future “spare” time (:smile:), perhaps you can check out the suggestions I made a couple posts back to your noted problem of CoolSoft crashing in Cantabile and other x64 software, as my x64 (Win10) implementation is working with no problems and does not crash in Cantabile 3 (of course doesn’t quite work either!).

I have Cakewalk’s SFZ but was never able to get it to make a sound in modern hosts. (not even Cakewalk Platinum!)

There is a player called “Bismark” that is multitimbral

The info page is here: http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16/index.html

The download page is here: http://www.bismark.jp/downloads.html

It is shareware for $50. It runs in demo mode until you register it, with a dog bark every 30 secs in demo mode.

Give it a try and let us know how it works!

Terry

Found this list of soundfonts also.

http://www.synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html

Terry

Terry…

Thank you for the notes. I have not had a chance to evaluate the Bismark product, but will take a look. I originally dismissed it because I misunderstood one of the notes on the product page and thought that it meant that it was only 8 channel multitimbral. A second looksee and I realized it was referring to the capability to load up to 8 soundfonts and allocate tracks/channels with specific soundfonts, e.g. using a better trumpet for one track that is in a separate soundfont.

And yes, I have just completed an eval on SynthFont and found that the VSTSynthFont64 product (free) works in Cantabile 3. When I first tried it last Friday, the popup VST window in Cantabile (also in Sonar) was a little too small to fit all the controls, and there is no way to resize the window. I wrote a note on Saturday to the developer, Kenneth Rundt, noting the problem. He responded back several hours later with screenshots of the VST running in other software correctly, and also downloaded a Cantabile demo to test the VST and it also worked correctly. After sharing my screenshots of the window sizing, which seemed like my window was using a larger font, Kenneth replied that he would send me another version of the VST to try. I got that this morning (Hell of a turnaround I might add!!), and sure enough, the version he sent worked! The original problem likely had something to do with my implementation of Win10 x64 and possibly a system font issue, but since the newer version works, I’m not going to waste any cycles about why the original didn’t work.

VSTSynthFont64, which was just released on August 29th, handles the six General MIDI soundfonts that I tried with it and plays the smaller one back just fine with Media Player in Cantabile 3, with no crashes (so far). A couple of the larger soundfiles, on the other hand stuttered on playback with the Cantabile monitor “Load” indicator going as high as 150-160 range during segments of the midi file which played 11 simultaneous tracks, but that may be due to other things related to my setup of Cantabile 3 and my desktop has not yet been optimized for audio. (Note: The Win10 Task Manager never showed more than 11% of CPU devoted to Cantabile, with nothing else eating up CPU.)

All in all, I can recommend VSTSynthFont64 as a handy addition in general, plus with the ability to play 16 part multitimbral GM soundfonts with the Media Player, it solved my immediate problem.

The other product that worked well in my evaluation was SAMPLELORD (the trademark is all caps), which sells for about $45 after Euro conversion. It has very fast loads of large soundfont files and has been rock solid in my testing. The main problem with the product relates to comments on the KVR forums that the developer does not appear to be enhancing the product and some report that he has not been responsive or involved in any forums. Probably not a major issue since it works well now, but could be adversely affected by one of Microsoft’s constant WIn10 “upgrades”.

Of course, all these comments are based on a whopping week’s worth of experimenting and going thru the learning curve. As I get more experience in these products and find problems, I’ll provide updates.

2 Likes

@terrybritton

Strange. If have a couple of sfz that work in everything.
They don"t like big sample loads though. Seven or eight hundred starts to be risky for a crash in the host.
BTW I saw you over in CamStudio support just now (old post) as I tried to put the vid together
https://youtu.be/5uSbzT_yRAo

1 Like

I love that piece - listened the whole way through! :slight_smile:

I’ll give another try with using sfz today – I wonder now if it was due to my being in 64-bit hosts? (Both C3 and Cakewalk…)

Yes, that’s me you see at the CamStudio forums - I’ve been helping Nick out as a volunteer help desk guy for many, many years now! I have several videos on it at YouTube, as well as several for Voicemeeter (which I could not help but notice you used for the recording!) as I also am a big supporter of Vincent’s efforts.
CamStudio Playlist
Voicemeeter Playlist

Unfortunately, I had taken my entire “video recording” setup apart and have never got back into it, but lately I have been focused on getting it back together, using OBS to record (yes, another playlist for my videos on OBS! As you can see, I USED to be pretty busy making videos!) :blush:

I have outlines for more CamStudio videos and definitely several for Cantabile 3 in the works, so I just need to get over procrastinating now – pretty much the equipment is back to being setup.

Terry

1 Like

I’ve used this rapper for years it works great