Build 3544 - What's New

Please let me know how it goes… I haven’t tested it on Win8 as well as Win10 so let me know if any problems.

Brad

1 Like

Hmm - in user mode, I’m getting an error message: Failed to start network server - access refused.

Does the network server only work when running Cantabile as an admin? @brad: any settings I can make on my system to make things work without running on admin?

@brad

Working fine so far on Win 8. Still experimenting.

Corky

EDIT: Been running on Win 8 for several hours. I’ve thrown many scenarios into it, tested many features and settings (including Web UI), and it is running very well.

1 Like

Dang, I just updated to the last build last night! Think I will wait a little while to see what others report, but there are some great features listed above :slight_smile:

Hi Derek

With gigs a few days away, I was hesitant, and normally would not update anything until I had several days to test. I decided to go for it, backed everything up, and gritted my teeth as I installed 3544. Was glad I did. It runs like a charm. Even though I will not be using the Web UI or the API anytime soon (my Win 7 machine stopped that), I like the other new changes. And, even though it’s just my opinion, it seems my machines are running slightly faster and more efficiently.

1 Like

This is fantastic! It is “the gift that keeps on giving” for sure!!!

(Cantabile 3 Performer is definitely one of the nicest gifts I’ve ever given myself!) :slight_smile:

Terry

4 Likes

Should Avast be suddenly be asking for a truckload of system programs to be granted firewall access to the outside? Seems strange…

Running sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt hoping no virus chose this same hour to come alive.

1 Like

Hi, Corky. I’m "between bands: right now (and this fine weather is not helping as I need to be sitting outside whilst we have it!), so can update any time I like, but figured I’d wait and see what gets reported whilst I’m not in a rush.

1 Like

Well, so far this is spectacular, and I’ve just scratched the surface. Cantabile runs things, iPad running forScore with horn parts and lead sheets for keys (kept in sync by sending SongNumber from C3), and running Set list as is on my phone. I haven’t decided if i need to see the Lappy/286 screen. Maybe a small Lilliput monitor? Or a Cheap-O tablet with SplashTop? Or just a table to the side.

Richard

2 Likes

Hey @Torsten

Hrm, that’s odd, the setup program is supposed to configure things so that it just works. There’s two parts required:

1. Firewall port 35007 needs to be opened
  2. URL reservations for http://+:35007 need to be granted

In Cantabile installation folder there’s a .bat file that can be used to manage this - configureNetwork.bat. It has three command line options: install uninstall and show. The install and uninstall options need to be run as administrator. When properly configured, the output of the show command should look like this:

So my guess is something failed with that script on your machine. Have a play with the above and let me know if you figure it out.

Brad

That does seem weird… what are the programs?

Oh, a bunch of system programs and services. All stuff that should have had permissions already! System file checker found nothing strange. I am running a boot time full scan. I will let you know if it finds anything.

Superb update!! Not only the great web UI feature, but a whole load of other features and bug fixes!!

So much for us to play with!! :slight_smile:

Neil

A comment on the new related files management - i suppose there’s some scenarios where this is a good thing but it’d be a deal killer for me. I often use Save As to create an alternate version of a song - let’s say i open MySong.cantabileSong, make some changes to the instrumentation (routings and bindings), and save it as MySong_SoloOrgan.cantabileSong. As i understand it, with the new scheme this would also create a copy (with a new name) of the image file and audio file for the song, whereas what is desired is for the two songs to share the same image file and audio file. So for instance, if i were to edit the chart in the MySong.png image file, then opening the MySong_SoloOrgan song would bring up the un-edited MySong_SoloOrgan.png file rather than the chart i just made the changes on. So i’d suggest that at least there needs to be an option to defeat the new behaviour on Save As (or perhaps the new behaviour should only be be for Rename, not for Save As).

1 Like

I’m getting the same error message as @Torsten. I ran the .bat file as an administrator and this is what it returned (sorry, I run my system in Spanish):

What can I do to get this up and running?

OK I think I can see what’s happening… the command the script uses for setting up the permissions is language sensitive and breaks on non-English systems. I’ll fix it for the next build.

In the meantime, @hermanoantequera and @torsten could you please try this:

1. Start a command prompt as admin.

2. Type this command:

netsh http add urlacl url=http://+:35007/ sddl=D:(A;;GX;;;WD)

3. Run Cantabile and see if the network server now works.

You raise some good points and I’m going to change some things here. To clarify one point:

In the example you describe, although the image and audio file would be copied - the song file itself would still refer to the original files. The related file operation doesn’t change explicit file references within the song itself - which means your new song will still reference the original audio/image file. But (unfortunately) you’ll have these extra orphaned audio/image files left hanging around.

The case I’m trying to address here is where you want to create custom solutions with the network server that rely on external data files (eg: the markdown notes example) and you want those extra files to stick with the song file. In other words it should maintain implicitly related files and not explicitly referenced files.

Two possibilities come to mind…

1. Update related file operations to ignore any files explicitly referenced by the song file.
  2. Provide a way to specify which file extensions should take part in the related file ops.
  3. Do nothing and let the user manual manage those related files.

Let me think about it… in the meantime for today’s build I think I’ll just disable this feature.

Brad

Build 3545 up now should address all the issues raised here.

2 Likes

The new 3545 build solves the problem. Server now running nicely. Thanks, @brad!

1 Like

I love that setlist picker ! <3
Maybe just sort by latest 10 instead of alphabetical?

1 Like