Anyone here build their own gear?

Yes that did happen. One of the guys “Sparrow” put a Philips head through one of the 15" Etones and Besty did the same thing with the palm of his hand. I wouldn’t let them near the JBL stuff. :slight_smile:
Still, we had some fun.

V=IR
Ohms law as applied to musos …
Where V = volume or variation of the music, I = intoxication level and R = rate of consumption.

4 Likes

I have to chime in here also.

You must not have had the teacher I had. (Never will forget Mr. Vogt!)

Where amperage is represented by I (“imps”), and voltage by E (Electromotive force) with resistance by R

The Indian watches the Eagle flying over the River.

I = E/R

Burned into my brain since 9th grade!

Terry

P.S. Likewise, to the River, the Eagle is over the Indian (R=E/I) and to the Eagle, the Indian and the River are on the same plane (E=IR)

3 Likes

Wow- no, I honestly never heard that one. That’s really good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi David , hi all, I hope to be useful on this topic with this.
I made a little hardware synth called Torturator. I have the schematics, I can give them for free. The texts are in Spanish, but the schemes are easy to understand with a minimum of technical knowledge. If anyone want them,email to solcitomusica@gmail.com including:
name
state-province
country

Here are two videos of Torturator:

Also you can visit my blog:

Best regards,
Gustavo Valletto

4 Likes

Yeah! Nowadays I build my whole equipment by myself. Check out my webpage:

It’s only in German but this is subject to change in the future. On my facebook-page you can see the most recent keyboards. I also did a posting about it here…

Hi Terry.
Great to hear your experiences getting the Ambisonic mixes working and glad you’re enjoying the music.
Apologies for the delay replying but I haven’t been online much over the last few days.

The only thing I can think of regarding your Ambisonic decoding is to make sure you include a “O3A Injector - FuMa” plugin just before the decoder. That plugin is included in the O3A core suite which you already have.
The reason for this is because the mix I did was just prior to Blue Ripple releasing the SN3D versions (O3A) of their plugins. The old format was called FuMa and was pretty much the standard for Ambisonics for years until YouTube and Facebook adopted the newer SN3D version.
The file will still play back through all speakers but without using the “O3A Injector - FuMa” plugin, the planning and level cues will be wrong.

1 Like

I’ve only ever done the screwdriver through the cone trick once and that was decades ago. Once was enough for me. These days, I am extra cautious when it comes to screwdrivers and speakers. I generally place my left hand right next to the edge of the speaker gasket so if the screwdriver does slip, it goes into my hand rather than the suspension or the cone.
Hands heal. Cones don’t!!

1 Like

I have to say I haven’t heard that one before either. No doubt because I am in Australia and the native Indian reference isn’t native to us!!

I do like that though and it is now embedded in my mind too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s some very cool stuff Gustavo!
I don’t speak a word of Spanish but schematics are no problem so I’ll take you up on the email offer. :sunglasses:

That’s a VERY cool build. Great workmanship.
I bet that Fatar keybed is sweet. My first experience with Fatar is the keybed on my Voyager and I REALLY like it.

Ah - I’ll go put in the FuMa plugin! Thanks!
Still sounded interesting without it! :slight_smile:

Terry

Make sure you use the “O3A Injector - FuMa” and not the “O3A Decoder - FuMa” plugin.
Place it right before your chosen speaker decoder.

Keen to hear how much different it sounds from before. :slight_smile:

Now that the SN3D suite is pretty much the standard and used in all current Blue Ripple products, I’ll most likely do a remix in SN3D format and replace the current one on my server to make things easier.
All my future Ambisonic mixes will be uploaded in SN3D format.

1 Like

Apologize by my delay on the response, David. Yes, the schematics can be understood despite languages. Just email to solcitomusica@gmail.com, including name, city, state, country.
Best regards,
Gustavo

1 Like

Great stuff Gustavo. I’ll send you an email over the weekend. Thanks again.

1 Like

Well, I finally was able to get some time in the studio and set up Reaper as you described, and WOW! There is no “from the speaker” aural confusion, and the panning in 3D space is always clearly defined.

What a gas!

I installed the ATK for Reaper item, set up the plugins as you describe, and selected a multi-channel routing of 1-6 and away it went - here is a picture of the setup:

Being as new to Reaper as I am, it is pretty impressive that I figured all this out – you really MUST write up that guide for your AmbisonicMusic.com page! Anyway, the effort was very worthwhile.

The opening passages where things are still sparse were where it was easiest to hear the dimensional panning effects, and sold me right off the bat. Now I really want to play around with this some more. I’ve been indoctrinated! :slight_smile:

Terry

1 Like

Very cool Terry! :sunglasses:
Great to hear you’re getting inspiring results from REAPER too. A little warning (if I haven’t already mentioned it), Ambisonics gets addictive VERY quickly once you hear it in action!!
I’m planning to upload the SN3D version of Run the Race tomorrow and am hoping to get some time to do a big update to the layout and information on the Ambisonic section of my website.
I might even include a complete REAPER project with all the decoding plugins from Blue Ripple pre configured and ready to play back my songs.

What channel order are you using for your 5.1 setup? Are you using L, C, R, Ls, Rs, LFE? That seems to be most common. I think ProTools defaults to L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs but I’m not totally sure.
If you let me know which order yours are, I’ll create a complete REAPER project to suit.
It sounds like you’ve already got REAPER configured for the ATK Toolkit but the Blue Ripple Core suite (the free ones) are several steps up in audio precision and do full third order decoding using all 16 channels of the audio. The ATK just uses the first four channels to decode to 5.1 and sounds good but isn’t in the same league.

1 Like

That is the one I use - it is the standard used in all my DAWs, Voicemeeter, and Windows Audio.

I am actually using the Blue Ripple core plugins – I only installed ATK today, but have not used any of that yet.

Terry

Gotcha. Sounds good.
I’ve just done a major update to the information and layout of the AmbisonicMusic.com section of my synth site and have replaced the old FuMa Ambisonic format mix of Run the Race with a SN3D format version. SN3D is the Ambisonic format chosen by YouTube and Facebook for their VR.
That means you can simply drop the new mix onto REAPER, add the decoder to the master and hit play. No need to mess with FuMa to SN3D converters any more as long as you are using the O3A Blue Ripple plugins and not the older TOA Blue Ripple ones.

This does mean though that the ATK Toolkit for REAPER isn’t compatible with the new mixes. Then again, neither is it compatible with the YouTube or Facebook Ambisonic format which has now become the “industry” default. I have therefore removed the ATK download links and information from my site until they update the suite to work in SN3D format rather than the obsolete FuMa format.

You’ve probably already figured this out but if you click the pin configuration tab on the decoder plugin (where it says 16 in 6 out), you can change the outputs of the decoder to suit your hardware outputs. In your case though, you shouldn’t need to because the decoder is already configured to suit the channel order of your speakers.

Here’s a screenshot…

Also, it is well worth downloading the excellent REAPER user guide (written by a prolific REAPER forum member) if you haven’t already.
http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

1 Like