AcousticSamples B5?

David,

B5 engine is sample based, of course the Leslie is a modeled simulation. It’s not a huge library, about 1GB. And yes, UVI workstation is required, as well iLok (hardware or software).
I say this as a B5 user. Corky will be more accurate.

I bought the B5 last year out of interest but with these two annoying “features” (UVI workstation and iLok) I even haven’t installed it on my live computers.

B5v3 is a hybrid…sampled and modeled. I use it in a rack, with presets in states. It is much better than the earlier version, less CPU load, quick preset switching, and a much better Leslie and distortion. Like any plugin, it will have to be tweaked to your ear. I now prefer it over B3-X. It is easier to get a tone than before. Changing Hammond models used to take a few seconds to load, but having everything in a rack, and preloaded, makes it easy. At 69 euros, you really can’t go wrong. It does require UVI Workstation (free) and iLok virtual dongle (free, just have to register). iLok was a bitch a few years ago, but I really haven’t had any problems with it the last two years. UVI Workstation is a breeze…it works just like Kontakt, the UVI is your vst. I have all the main organ clones, and use them all. B5 is far my favorite for live gigging. I don’t have any endorsement contracts, just going by my gut feelings. :wink:

You read me like a book! :grin:

Haven’t purchased the Clav, so I can’t give any advice. I use the Pianoteq Clav and some of the romplers (Korg, E-Mu), so I really haven’t had a need to buy another. I rarely use one…maybe on two or three songs.

Regards

Corky

1 Like

Since you already own it, you ought to upgrade to version 3(free to owners). Big game changer in the Hammond world. iLok and UVI haven’t interrupted any gigs. I don’t find them annoying at all. Once you have them set, they are a breeze, and they load faster than B3-X. :wink:

1 Like

Not a real annoyance, IMHO.

You are not a simple book. You are an encyclopedia! :grin: :rofl:

1 Like

I used to use first Lounge Lizard, then Velvet for my Rhodes / Wurly needs, but V-Tines and V-Reeds have completely replaced them (except some layered sounds still use Velvet). I find them far more “playable” and responsive, and they work really well in a mix. Definitely a recommendation!

You’ll need to do some VST parameter mapping inside UVI workstation to be able to do quick preset switching without having to re-load the sample set (expose the relevant parameters as VST params, then set state behavior for these, e.g. tremolo, drive, chorus, …).

Cheers,

Torsten

I really hate to ask, but can you show how you are doing that? :innocent:

This is the way I do it too. The problem is that every time Arno has come out with a major update, I have had to redo all the mapping as many of the parameters have changed. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t used B5 as much except to jam with.

Yeah…me too, but everything I use on B5 is in the plugin snapshots. Of course with the updates, so many parameters changed, and I had to redo them all to match the new parameters, just as you did. But, it did force me to learn all the new updates.

Sure: you right-click a parameter that you want to modify between your rack presets - in this case the on/off switch for the chorus:

In this case, the automation parameter is already assigned, otherwise the field to the right of “Host Automation” would say “None”. In that case, open the drop-down menu and find a free slot:

Now you have all these parameters listed available for ticking in State Behavior:

So I create different rack states, e.g. Basic Wurlie, Wurlie Chorus, Wurlie driven, Wurlie flanger, … , never changing the plugin snapshot - no state behavior there:

So all that changes between my rack states are the values of my VST parameters. Sure, I can’t create crazy different presets with different tunings or tone generation parameters, but for my purposes, this is OK - I just treat this like I would a real Wurly: keep it as it is and work around it with different effects. I’m not crawling behind my instruments with a soldering iron on stage :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thanks Torsten!! You saved a thousand words.

Oh…I still remember those days…never want to go back. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Torsten. Very, very useful. I feel gurus surrounded here.

1 Like

Can’t say I had any problems at all with iLOK and a lot of the software I use is protected by it now on both my DAW PC and Gig PC.

The one I cannot abide, to the point where I have given up on the VST is whatever system VPS Avenger is using which requires constant reauthorisation, which would be bad enough if it was intuitive and easy, but it isn’t.

That is a huge turnoff for me and maybe how iLOK used to be in terms of frustration factor, but I have not experienced that.

Just my two penneth worth… :slight_smile:

Back OT, I need to upgrade B5 to see the difference as I have not looked at for a while.

I updated the B5 and it is a nice instrument as well as the newer electric pianos from acousticsamples but since I spent much more time with B3-X and Pianoteq/AAS I see no need to replace one of these tools.

You will be surprised! BTW…it doesn’t overwrite B5 v2.5. So, you can keep those settings.

2 Likes

Hy Corky,
I’m new, my name is Sergio and I wanted to ask you if you’ve ever used Uvi Rotary as a leslie. I listened to it from a friend of mine and properly adjusted it has a yield with a warm and incisive sound. Can you tell me something?

Hi Sergio

Welcome to the forum!

Sometime back, I gave the community a challenge on my Organ thread. It was a blind test on Leslie simulations. Of the major sims available at the time, the UVI received the most votes. I gave my opinion on it. Remembering my thoughts at the time, there were very few options in making it sound like a real Leslie. It is chock full of very strange, off the wall settings. The problem is, IK Multimedia made a deal with Leslie, and created a vst with many cabinet and amp choices. There are multiple parameters you can adjust to your liking. The UVI is quite limited, but if you are satisfied with it’s single sound, it is quite good. I really prefer it on Guitar.

So is there something more you want to know? If so, feel free to ask. Below are my opinions at the time.

Hi Corky, I like its sound, even woody, but also well preamplified as if there was a chorus effect. If you want I can give you the setting that I like best, it seems the sound prepared by Jon Lord in the song Repent Walpurgis. It is likely that I will buy it. And I liked it, it will seem strange to you, associating it with the very simple Hanno 70 without his Leslie. Maybe they have simple tastes, but … I like this combination … see you soon.

1 Like

Hi again Sergio

Gigging has dominated my time lately, so I am not as quick to respond. If you would like to send me the settings, I will try them out. The UVI Rotary was good for the one Hammond setting I had, but I find it good with guitar or Electric Pianos (even Grand Pianos). The other dominant Leslie clones didn’t perform as well as UVI for the aforementioned instruments.

Yes, the Hanno is quite barberic compared to modern clones. It lacks the overtones, and, (without going thru the long list) most everything else associated with Hammond. :grin:

I am moving this discussion to the VST Organ page, as this has nothing to do with AS B5.