AcousticSamples B5?

Thanks, Dave! My system comes up as “Medium Speed” in the UVI Options. What buffer size are you using in your audio device?

Thanks

Sure thing Doug, here are the settings on the desktop i5 with 7200 HD. I’m in standalone use.

SnapShot%2015139

Same settings in C♪3 FWIW and it works the same there.

There’s’ a small update to the program. On the KVR page, he said that he changed the GUI so the tabs are not covered when the preferences are open.

• Paul
1 Like

Thanks Dave & Paul!

Doug, I am running it on my old win 7 at 44k 16gb Ram no problem. May have to adjust buffers.

A quick B-5 Leslie vs IK Leslie test.

I used a stock setting in B-5, no adjustment to Leslie. Then I ran the same organ DI out to IK Leslie. Only adjusted Leslie speed to compare to B-5 Leslie, nothing else was changed. There is virtually no difference. I have enough controls on both to adjust to each other, so maybe a little eq, and some attention to deceleration speed would make them damn near equal. Again, this is just a quick, out-of-the-box test. Click the play button and both will eventually play.

Interesting. I like the 2nd one. There’s a weird overtone that sounds like it’s unaffected by the Leslie but it’s more prominent in the 1st example. Out of the box I like the eq on #2. Clearly though B5 sounds much better then it did!

2 Likes

B-5 is not as “dark” sounding now. Big difference. Giving IK a challenge, which will make us happy. Nothing like a good “organ” fight. :rofl:

1 Like

I prefer the second one. I’m guessing that is with the IK Leslie?

I also think the second one is the IK Leslie.

Question for Corky - how did you set the Direct Out in UVI Workstation/B5 v3?

Thanks for doing the comparison!

I ended up buying the T-Racks Leslie. It sounds really good to my ears on the old B4 II in DI mode. Plus there is an ulterior motive at work here…there is a small Hammond tonewheel organ in the family that has “the sound” though no Leslie. Don’t recall the model, but there is some chance I end up with it. And I’ve heard some recordings of real tonewheels into the T-Racks Leslie and it’s really something.

Doug,

Typically, I haven’t opened the manual yet. I went into the Speaker settings, turned down the Rotary level and raised the DI output (which is pretty neat, since you can mix the output for tweaking the overall character of the sound).

Doug

You guys are dangerous for my wallet…
I saw that B5 can use my Viscount Legend as control interface and I had to buy it.
During discount days, it is not important what you are spending, but what you think you are saving!
First lazy Saturday morning of testing: I still prefer IK B3X. But with same drawbar setting and some care on levels, differences are not so important.
After trying B5 with TRacks Leslie, everything depends on details, input levels changes a lot. Leslie cab is sensible.
I need more time to be sure. To be honest IK seems easier to tune because everything is inside one box and can be managed with one preset click. Still working…

1 Like

The one similarity with all the Hammond clones is they are all different. For my purposes, I have to dig deeply into the parameters, to get what I want. Most provided presets suck, so I find a way to get what I want. To get where I am going, I have to learn how the developers created their product, and find the hidden secrets. Programming a tone is completely different with B5 than B-3X. When I provide presets to the community, from the different clones, I start with a basic setup and dial in the tone, considering what I’ve learned about the clone. There is no doubt, IK seems easier to dial in than the others. Some of the clones were much harder till I added IK Leslie. I spent a lot of time with B-3X, and until I spend more time with B5 V3, I will not know the many things I know about the others.

I am still going through it but I can say I agree it sounds less dark and the Leslie when tweaked is better too. Not the same as B-3X or the IK Leslie sound but it stands up well for me when I run it cranked with no direct signal mixed in. I do wish they could separate the Direct signal to a dedicated audio port of it’s own though for use with a second Leslie. The actual tonewheel sounds are greatly improved and very detailed IMO and what I was also struck by was the effective difference between the voicing and capacitor type models, I was astounded at some of the combinations. They really changed the character of the organ’s sound note to note. The bottom to top volume was improved even more on this version to where the high register cuts through well. They did improve the performance but not by the doubling of it as I first thought but more like about 30% improved. I look forward to more observations. I just finished updating all the 2.5 sounds I use to the version 3 and I am going to try them in songs where I already used 2.5 before. I will see how it goes there.

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

Totally agree Dave. I see AS sale ends tomorrow. That was short!

Like Furio, I’ve only had an hour to play B5. I liked that my dual keyboards, drawbars, expression pedal and leslie (modwheel) were already midi mapped - that allowed me to just start cranking the drive and put it through it’s paces. There is something about how it plays I really like - the key contacts modeling is very good. I practiced some of my organ trio stuff and it sounded great for that. I then got in my Woody and drove over to a place to buy wood which I took home to split. Did I say “woody” :grinning:

2 Likes

B5 is the closest I’ve come to Gregg Allman’s Fillmore East sound.

My dear @Corky, something is telling me you are a very dangerous guy. I read you → I have a compelling compulsion to buy a brand new Hammond clone. It happened with IK B3-X, IK Leslie, and now the B5. Moreover, I own VB3, VB3 II, the Jurassic B4. Don’t you think I’d better buy a real B3, did I?. Needless to say I’m kidding, I have a very high opinion about your Hammond-related knowledge, and buy or not is only my choice. Even though you are 0.00000000001% guilty :slight_smile:
Just installed the B5, with its hated UVI environment, played a chord, switched Leslie speed, that’s all anyway. Next time, I’ll try to create a good setup.

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes, I am totally dangerous!

I get excited everytime there is a big change in virtual Hammond land. If only you knew how many other clones I own, you would truly think I am obsessed (and you would be correct). I don’t speak much about UVI Retro Organ, or 8Dio Studio Organ, which are good for what they are, but somewhat limited, and heavy on resources. B4 was a big breakthrough for me. In the years since I sold my Hammond, I looked for something in the new vst world to carry around in a laptop. I embraced this new virtual instrument world and constantly looked for ways to make it work. I finally fell back to Cantabile after using other vst hosts and DAWs. C3 offered what I needed, and I haven’t looked back.

VB3 was a total game changer, and it brought many gigs of joy. I still use it today, but like many other clones, there were shortcomings as well. In my past days, I played many “house” organs, and they were all different. It was my wish to save a great part of each one and incorporate it into one super Hammond. I now get to do that with all the clones. I use B5, B3-X, VB3, VB3 II, and Blue3 throughout my setlists. I know what I can, and cannot get from each one. Therefore, the songs I play have the closest representative to the original.

I have said in other threads, that B5 v2.5 always alerted my Hammond receptors. I love it on stage, makes me play better, and puts a smile on my face…much like playing the real deal. Just something about it affects me. BUT, B5 was not the best for heavy stuff, and somehow didn’t quite nail the highs in some sweet gospel settings. I would use another clones for those. Maybe this new B5 will get me there.

Hopefully, there will be one single clone multi-tool someday, but regardless, I will still be using many clones in my act…just because it works for me, and feeds my cravings. :grin:

4 Likes