Win 10 setup process for audio performance

Hi everyone! I am planing to install a win 10 on my laptop, never used it before, I worked with win 7. Brad’s glitchfree setup should be done after every software is installed( cubase, cantabile, ivory, Vienna imperial vsl, komplete 11)or do it right after the win 10 and the drivers are installed?
Thanks

1 Like

Most of the settings are independent of the software being installed, so right after Win 10 and drivers is the right point in time. Doesn’t hurt to check some of the power saving settings after installing new hardware (e.g. MIDI / audio interface, copy protection dongle…)

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

I’ve only just recently (this week) got my new DAW PC up and running and knew most of the tweaks in Brads guide but there are a few gems there I’d not known of (particularly the device manager USB hub power settings).
I went through everything Brad suggested before installing my audio software and this PC is fast, responsive, reliable and powerful.
As Torsten has mentioned, I don’t think it really matters when you do it but it will make a huge difference when you do.

Yes, I do know, because I did it in win 7 and hope that win 10 will be at least as good as win 7 was. One more thing. If I have one 1TB ssd should u leave it in one piece or make different partition for the operating system and for the data…?

Hi, I am not an expert, so somebody with more experience may give better advice, but I cannot see the point in partitioning an SSD from a performance perspetive.

Performance tuning, including partitioning of a “real hard disk” was trying to take advantage of miminised head movement and/or getting the next bit of data from a disk sector without having to wait for uncessary disk rotation for it to come under the read head again. But once you had buffered hard disks even that became less necessary. In all of my DAWs I have set up myself since 2001, I have never bothered with worrying about disk performance and never seen an issue,

An SSD should give you instant random access to any “sector”?

There might be a minor benefit to having a separate data partition only in that from time to time Windows system partitions tend to go wonky and you could blast it, reinstall and not have to recopy all your big libraries. Maybe. But even in that case you might have to reinstall so much it wouldn’t be worth the bother. Plus, It’s usually a good idea to keep music DAW computers away from the web and updates (unless you know they’re safe) and in that case you shouldn’t wind up with a trashed Boot partition, So… yeah, meh. I never bothered dividing mine.

Yes, that’s the reason why I keep my data and system on separate partitions. I regularly create disk images of my system drive (while it’s still in good working order), so when something goes wrong, either during an installation or through some other nastiness, I can just restore the last working configuration and re-build from there.

I usually relocate my User directory to the data partition as well - my user data will not get trashed when I restore a system image. But of course, I also back up my user data - CrashPlan is my friend…

And I write my disk images to a separate external hard drive, not the expensive SSD drive in my DAW.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Torsten, do you run crashplan on your live machine? What do you use to create your disk images? I use bootit which also gives me a ‘live’ and ‘home’ dual boot.

Agreed. I was commenting from a performance perspective to answer that question, not from a recovery perspective :slight_smile:

My music computer has data on a completely separate disk.

I haven’t bothered partitioning the music laptop, but I have data backup on USB thumb drive, USB hard disk both as a simple directory clone and as part of a disk image (with bootable media to hand). So I am not too worried if I have to wipe the disk partition completely.

Hey Al,

no CrashPlan on my live machine - that one has no relevant local content that needs backing up; all my Cantabile data is simply replicated via Dropbox to the live laptop. But on my studio PC, I do run CrashPlan - I put it to sleep for recording sessions, though.

My disk image tool of choice is Acronis TrueImage - has been working for me for some time, and by now I also know its quirks and oddities :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

So, better to have software and data on separate partitions. For back up I only started to use easeUS , made a bootable usb stick and do all the backups that I need, better said images of my partitions. For those who are deep in this virtual stuff(pc, daw, vst)which one should I choose a fresh win7 or a new win10 ?
Thanks

I just installed cantabile on win 10 and tried to upload a plugin, but nothing happened…the plugin folder does not show any plugin in it, searched manually for the plugins but couldn’t upload the plugin , error code 13205…

How do you “upload” a plugin? Normally, a plugin either has an installer that you run (and point at your VstPlugins folder) or a dll file that you drag & drop into your VstPlugins folder (you may need admin rights for that).

So I don’t quite get what you are trying to do “uploading” a plugin…

Cheers,

Torsten

Sorry @Torsten, my english is bad enough to not understand it…so after I installed C3 and made a specific folder for vst’s, I installed kontakt from NI, and the grandeur piano. Kontakt in standalone is working well. The problem is that C3 does not see the content of the vst folder, and there is an option to browse manually for the plugin, so I did it, but only the mentioned error came up. I’ll try to install other plugins, and see what will happen.In win 7 everythhing was ok

The 32-bit version of Cantabile only will work with 32-bit plugins - usually in the C:\Program Files(x86)\VSTplugins folder.

You’ll need the 64-bit version started up to see the 64-bit plugins - usually in the C:\Program Files\VSTplugins folder.

Both versions of Cantabile install at once on a 64-bit machine, BTW.

Terry

Thank you @terrybritton and @Torsten. I found the problem… somehow I managed to install the 32-bit version of cantabile(in my mind was clearly the 64-bit installed, aging, forgetting, mistyping) and the 64-bit version for the plugins, and of course the C3 could not recognize the plugins in the folder…so, sorry, it was my mistake.
All the best!

1 Like

OK, let’s take this step by step:

• You need to point Cantabile at the correct VST plugins path: at Tools->Options->Plugin Options, you can enter the path where you installed your VST plugins. Check this folder: is there a kontakt.dll file in this folder?
  • As @terrybritton mentioned, you need to use the folder with the correct version of your plugins with your Cantabile version (64 vs 32 bit)
  • Now you can use Tools → Scan Plugin Folder (Quick) to make Cantabile aware of your plugins

Cheers,

Torsten