Using Canabile with Youtube video

Hello all

Is it possible to use cantabile and have youtube piano lesson on at the same time. At the moment youtube will not play as long as cantabile is opened.
I need to watch the instruction and then play without having to exit cantabile all the time

thks for any help

I regularly do exactly what you describe without any problems. I can have Cantabile running in the background while watching a YouTube video and playing my keyboards.

thks, but please what are the settings to do it?

This is going to be dependent on your individual system and the type of audio device (and drivers) you are using. Some will share; many won’t. There may be a way to loop the audio from the system back into Cantabile but first we need to know how your system is set up. What interface and audio drivers are you using? And is Windows set to the same device Cantabile is?

@FredProgGH is completely right, of course. In my case, I’m using a Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 as my mixer/soundcard and it lets me play YouTube and Cantabile at the same time. It will not let me run Cantabile and my DAW at the same time, though.

This is caused by your audio driver taking exclusive control of the sound card. Some ASIO drivers have an option to run in shared mode, but you’ll need to check the docs for your sound for how to enable that.

Another option is to use a WASAPI driver in shared mode:

1. Go to Options → Audio Engine

2. For the audio driver choose the WASAPI driver for which ever speakers/headphones you’re listening through.

3. From the Sample Rate drop down, choose Shared Mode.

You should now be able to run Cantabile and any other programs using shared mode at the same time and Windows will mix the audio from both and send to the speakers. The only downside is you might notice a little extra latency (time between playing a note and hearing it) but that’s what you give up by not running in exclusive mode.

Brad

1 Like

OK, I have solved it by taking brads advice. Thanks for all interest