Rack volumes persisting through songs?

Cantabile has a variety of perfectly legitimate approaches to achieving a goal.
There is no one ‘golden rule’.

Appreciating the essential concepts is what brings new users in, having realized that a conventional DAW does not, by a long chalk, provide a useful live host for plugins.
The manual and the videos on YouTube spark the interest - but this forum is proving to be the goldmine of methods, tips and tricks for new users, as you’ve seen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m personally glad Cantabile is set up with vertical sliders, as I do not need to go out and purchase a new rolling chair with really good wheels on it to traverse those 96 vertical faders! (Some may prefer that experience, though.) (If only physical consoles had scroll bars…)

Terry

2 Likes

Hi @Torsten - I’m demoing C3 at the moment and keen to build a kind of virtual mixer and toying with something inspired by your posts here (hence the resurrection of this post). I’m not sure what is meant by “normal” rack (perhaps a term from previous versions of Cantabile?). I’m aware of Linked and Embedded. My guess would be this is a “Linked” rack as you don’t want it tied to one song but I may well be wrong (still very much at the bottom of the slope in terms of my learning curve). Could you advise what type of rack you use for this purpose? Muchos Grazias!

Oh… and just out of curiousity, do you allow the full range of gain on FreeG? I used FreeG in Forte and always limited it to prevent accidental extreme gain!

Hi Hunter,

with “normal rack”, I addressed @Neil_Durant’s previous posts, in which he speculated if the volume persistence could be achieved through the global rack (nowadays called the Background Rack), which is a special rack that is present independent of the song loaded.

Normally, the background rack is used mainly for global controller assignments (bindings) - doesn’t make much sense to implement a “next song” / “previous song” button on your master controller in every individual song…

So, in my post, I suggested to use what is nowadays called a “linked rack” (not sure if embedded racks were available at the time - @brad is frighteningly agile in delivering features) to keep volume levels persistent across songs, as opposed to using the background rack. With a pre-loaded setlist, linked racks stay loaded in memory and - provided their state doesn’t change - will not re-initialize when loading a new song.

BTW: this habit of not re-initializing does open up a different can of worms (how to make sure that a pre-loaded rack is in a well-defined state at the start of a song). But that’s a different discussion…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thanks Torsten - utterly comprehensive!:+1: My intent is to use the “Non Song Controlled Racks and Modified File Behaviour Options” as described in Brad’s blog here in a bid to avoid state changes. Early days but successful testing so far.

The flexibility Cantabile provides is allowing me to rethink how I managed Forte scenes/songs/racks so rather than just copy the setup I use in Forte, I have an opportunity to be a little more structured/modular?! All good so far (although FreeG is causing some crashes - think I need to check for an update or perhaps use the HOFA fader which has integrated LUFS monitoring… hmmm)!

1 Like

@brad, do you have any news on the monitor panel with global levels control?

Coming back to this ‘problem’
:slight_smile:
This is indeed a very good way to control the volume !!!
As for now, some plugins have an other volume curve, so it doesn’t work when several are parallel controlled by CC7 !!!

I’m checking. Also to make sure the levels are always in limits, I’ll check out a good limiter.

Digging into it again :slight_smile:

I don’t, except to say I’m about to break away from the current OSX sprint to do some work on the Windows version. I’ve already got a list of things I want to address, I might be able to include something here but will need to look into it.

1 Like

Come to the Windows side Brad, we have cookies (and some virusses too). :skull_crossbones:
You’re our only hope in the windows audio desert :wink: :pray:

I already have a list of FR I’d love to see for C3 :wink:

• actual working limiter
  • tiny level meter on top on the master level (yes yes)
  • make a hidden standard state in every song, because I don’t use states on most songs and so the changes made are not reset when switching songs
  • that x64 bridge still isn’t working for me :slight_smile: (I need to get back to you about it)
  • song list should maybe scroll along so that the selection is centered, because now I don’t see the next song on the list when hitting the bottom of the list…

Just some thoughts :slight_smile:

4 Likes