Plugin version checker?

Hi all,

one of the challenges in my current three-tier Cantabile setup (studio, live, live backup) is managing the update level of all my plugins. Is anyone aware of a tool that can monitor a plugin folder and tell me which plugins are up-to date?

Currently, some plugin vendors provide automatic version checking (XLN audio, Native Instruments, Arturia), but for the rest, I still need to check manually.

One tool that would already be helpful is simply a program that goes through all DLLs in my VstPlugins folder (and subfolders) and lists DLL name and version (+ file change date if no version available). This would allow me to check these lists across my three setups and identify any update gaps (even better if such a program could import a list and do this checking automatically).

Does anyon know of such tools?

Cheers,

Torsten

Apparently I am not alone on this. Torsten, I also did a search for a tool last year that would do exactly what you describe, but found nothing. I think the problem would be that many developers do not bother to announce updates, whether by email or blog. I know, for example, Acoustic Samples promised email announcement of B5 upgrade, but neither notified their customers, nor updated their blog, nor had it on their home page… Then there are developers that keep me abreast of updates for everything several times a week. I agree, it would be great to have such a tool, and hopefully someone reading this may know of one. Unless the developers become consistent, I don’t know how such a tool would work. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Corky

P.S. Tried VST Scanner and it was very good at listing current VST versions on my machine.

Hey Torsten,

All I’ve seen is some powershell solutions but you have to code. But I found this app that you drag your file onto it’s exe icon and it opens a dos window with version info. It handles many file types including dll. It also has a more detailed command line interface with more options. It may be helpful I’m not sure. It’s primarily for images but worked on some vst dll’s I tested but some did not report as much info, not sure why except maybe different developers have different standards for labeling their dll’s.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Dave

1 Like