Off Topic- Multitrack Skype?

Hey, maybe one of you gurus can help me with this. We know someone who wants to record (I think) a radio show involving 3 people, 1 local in our studio and 2 on Skype (or an equivalent). The tricky part is that they want everyone on their own track for editing, and I’m not sure how to split a group Skype into separate outputs or files. I’m pretty sure there are utilities that split incoming and outgoing signals (and I assume that in another wrinkle we don’t want the outgoing side of the conversation recorded either…) but to then split the incoming calls… gah. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? Thanks!

There is a good Doctor Who podcast where they record several different commentators in multiple countries at once. On their webpage, one of the commentators explains how she does it. Basically they make the Skype call and talk, but each individual records at home on audacity. Later on, someone takes the individual mp3s and edits the together. At the beginning and end of each podcast, they each introduce themselves, and she uses those points to line up each track.

Here is a link. If you scroll down the comments, she has an explanation of how it’s done:

• Paul

That is the best option that bartok2112 describes above. Skype is a bit messed up for this application because the vocals are all mixed to a mono signal.

Using Hangouts-On-Air in “Studio” mode, each person could use a mic plugged into only a left or right input to accomplish separating the speakers that way. It would obviously be limited to two interviewees, of course!

My little tutorial on doing music lessons online has some hints as to how you would set up a Hangout-On-Air to do such a thing.

http://terrybritton.com/remote-piano-lessons-via-skype-or-preferably-hangouts-on-air-in-studio-mode/

But for production-ease, the above method using separate recorders for everyone is possibly easiest. Once you get the HOA setup down, it becomes easy to do also.

Terry

We thought of that immediately but the people involved are not techy enough to record themselves, unfortunately. The Hangouts thing could work, we only need two people and some kind of left/right split had occurred to me but it can’t be done in Skype. I don’t know how long these are going to be- to me the easiest solution is to record both people on one channel, keep them from talking over each other, clone that channel and then just erase one of them from each- assuming that must post production processing even needs to be done on them. I won’t be doing it so I don’t know…