Midi timeline playback question

Looking for a solution to this issue:
When I stop the timeline playback of a midi song by pausing it, or…the song ends at the right marker (no matter where the maker is placed), there is a 3 to 4 second time lag (synth notes keep playing) before stopping. In fact, the notes are still playing after the cursor snaps back to the beginning left marker start position…
This happens with synth instrument patch playback, i,e. my Roland synth, and the digital Allen midi church organ I use. I get the same thing with both. However, it does not occur when I use Kontakt instruments (as a plugin). The notes stop immediately as expected.
I have had to quit using C3 because of this and go back to using my DAW until I can get it solved.
I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me with this,
Terry

Hi @terrylaff

Thanks for reporting this. I’m not aware of any problems in this area but happy to look into it.

When you say 3-4 seconds time lag… could this just be missing note off events and the instruments release curve fading it out, or do the notes abruptly end after 3-4 seconds.

Strange that it only happens with external instruments because sending of held note off events is done by the media player itself which doesn’t know what it’s sending to so shouldn’t behave differently.

The other way to help diagnose this would be:

1. Go to Options -> Diagnostics and turn on Console Logger and Log MIDI Out events
  2. Reproduce the problem
  3. Watch the console window and see if the expected note off events to release the held notes are sent, or if they’re sent, but sent late.

Let me know what you find.

Brad

Hi Brad,
Yes, they shut off cleanly after the lag. I will certainly do the diagnostic log. One question… should the external synth be midi hooked up for this test?
Thank you!
Terry

Hi @terrylaff

The synth itself doesn’t need to be connected but the MIDI interface does need to be present so Cantabile can connect to it and the logging at that device level work.

Also, to be clear… the notes cut off 3-4 seconds after stopping/pausing the media player - no song/state switching, engine stop or anything else going on here?

Interested to hear what you find.

Brad

I had this same problem with midi files playing to my Kurzweil PC88 keyboard. I probably should have reported it, but never got around to it. They way I solved it was by creating a binding that sends a note off command when the media player is stopped. I can’t remember the CC number - I don’t have access to that laptop right at this moment to check exactly what I did. AFter I created the binding, I saved it as a template to use anytime I wanted to play a midi file with that keyboard.

By the way, this never happened when using media player with a VST.

• Paul

This should be fixed in the next build.

Thank you! It works great now.

• Paul