Lyrics and chords display tool: LivePrompter

Hi all,

in our discussion around Live Mode and the option to display lyrics and chords, I mentioned that I had built my own tool for this (see here)

I have finally found the time to write a bit of documentation around it, and if anyone wants to give it a go, just download it here and try it!

It contains a PDF file (LivePrompter Manual) that explains how to install and operate; you can also download some demo songs here that you can put in your song folder to start out with.

Apologies, no fancy installer (yet), all a bit rudimentary - but it WORKS! I’ve been using it over the last few months, and it is currently pretty stable and does everything I need it to do. And did I mention its FREE?

One tip for people wanting to try this on a Windows 10 tablet: turn off tablet mode before running LivePrompter, otherwise you’ll be back to the start screen every time you close the song window - haven’t figured out how to get around this…
—EDIT: not needed anymore in newest build! You can now run LP in tablet mode without a problem…

Have fun and let me know how things work out for you! For me, it’s the perfect companion to Cantabile 3 - all the software I need on stage!

Cheers,

Torsten

4 Likes

Hi Torsten

Great tool and pretty easy to install and setup.
Thanks!

In my rig I would like to use the same tablet to control a display tool as I use for my rack based PC.
Thus I need to run it in non-full-screen mode.

Will this somehow be possible with LivePrompter (or easy to add)?

Cheers,
Kim

Hi Kim

hmm, at present, LivePrompter is designed to be full-screen only

• I designed the UI to be the only thing on screen - as few distractions as possible
  • resizing the screen during operation is a minor nightmare based on the way LivePrompter’s rendering engine works at present. So unfortunately not at all easy to add :frowning:

So I’m somewhat reluctant to promise anything. If there is more demand for a windowed mode, I may consider this for a future next major version.

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi Torsten

No worries.
It is still a great tool :smile:

Cheers,
Kim

1 Like

Hi Kim

I had a little bit of idle time, and I was able to think of a way to re-work the rendering engine a bit (albeit in a somewhat quick&dirty way), so that now a windowed mode is possible.

I would still recommend to run LivePrompter in full-screen mode whenever possible, but if you REALLY need to, you can now do it.

I have uploaded a new build of LivePrompter (same URL above) that allows running LivePrompter in windowed mode. Download it and simply replace your existing LivePrompter.exe with the new one from the archive.

Now edit your LivePrompter.ini and insert a new line:

FullScreen=no

Then LivePrompter should run in windowed mode - it will also remember the display window position on exiting.

And one other thing I managed with the new build: no more need to de-activate tablet mode on Windows 10 tablets - the main window should push itself to the foreground again after the prompter window is closed.

Let me know if it works for you!

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Just a quick caveat here: if you use LivePrompter in windowed mode, it will only react to key presses when the window has the focus / is active and in the foreground (as with any other Windows program)!

So don’t be confused if a windowed LivePrompter doesn’t react to your keyboard commands - you may have activated a different window, so your key commands go somewhere else…

Cheers,

Torsten