Keyscape with Cantabile Performer 3

I have Keyscape in use with Cantabile Performer 3 on a Dell 6420E Notebook with 16 GB of RAM and Samsung 500GB SSD. I usually run Keyscape only in reduced mode, otherwise the CPU comes to its limits and it starts jittering wen I play with many sounds and additional pedal. But if I use all sorts of performance optimizations, Keyscape with Cantabile 3 is a pure joy and the sound is currently unrivaled.

Use as much CPU power as possible!

4 Likes

Hi @bladi - pleased to hear Cantabile is working well for you.

Brad

yeah @bladi I’m using Keyscape too. one question: what kind of optimizations do you do?

I’ve made the adjustments from Brad from his Glichfree. That was all.

I use keyscape too but I had a problem with that today.
I had a rack where keyscape was loaded into. Than I created two songs, both using keyscape but in different racks. When I changed now from one song to the other, no sound came out of keyscape. I needed to open keyscape and click on the desired preset again.
So it seems that the samples are not loaded properly. Will take a closer look at it these days and upload a rack / song file if necessary.

@FantomXR - my guess here is the rack wasn’t saved successfully after loading the preset into keyscape in each rack. If it happens again, please post back so we can look into it in more detail.

hi guys. one question:

when you play Keyscape, does the RAM fills up and out every second without minding the settings inside Omnisphere/Keyscape? I mean, it does not work as DFD from Kontakt: once you load a .nki, the RAM does not move when you play. It loads the samples and finish. but in Keyscape, you load a patch and it loads up in RAM; when it finished loading to RAM, while you play it will load more and more! why?

Doesn’t sound right, although it could be just creating additional caching/buffers as required. If you keep playing does it ever plateau or just keep increasing?

I’ll check that at my side next year :wink:

And BTW: The other problem I mentioned above never occurred again. Keyscape runs nice :wink:

[quote=“brad, post:8, topic:1173, full:true”]Doesn’t sound right, although it could be just creating additional caching/buffers as required. If you keep playing does it ever plateau or just keep increasing?
[/quote]

it keeps floating around a certain point, but it never stays. Here’s an example:

using LA C7 Grand Piano. When loaded (without THINNING), the RAM is at 4,6 GB (with 800 MB ca. of Windows 10, other 0,5 GB for Cubase Elements 9 and 0,5 GB to open Omnisphere - so the patch is around 2,8 GB in size). Now I play all the stuff that I want, within the entire keyboard, with pedal (a lot of voices at the same time) and it begins to grow up to 5,3 GB - then, it starts floating around that number, as shown in these screens.

screen 1

screen 2

It does this with Acoustic Piano (large patch); with other patches (I tested Rhodes Classic and Clavinet C) it does so but the difference is unnoticeable (with Clavinet C the difference is under 0,1 GB, with Rhodes Classic around 1,0 GB or a few MB).

Then: when I play a lot of voices with pedal, when I release the pedale I hear a sort of dropout. You too?

And, last but not least, the Vibrato on Rhodes Classic makes noise: here a sample where you can hear (more on bass than high). [details=audio example]picosong - upload a mp3 or song, get a link to it!

Ley me know, thanks.

CreativiTea

Hello!

My guess: you hear dropout because of the release samples playing from HDD.
Is there any memory and cache related settings ?
Cache should be increased i suppose :wink:

Kind regards, Alexander

1 Like

[quote=“Alexander, post:11, topic:1173, full:true”]My guess: you hear dropout because of the release samples playing from HDD.
Is there any memory and cache related settings ?
Cache should be increased i suppose :wink:
[/quote]

thanks. this one it’s a minor problem here, I’ll check later how to solve it with cache settings.

have you an idea for the other stuff?

There is a streaming mode in Omnisphere, if it is set to “Not streamed” all samples should load into RAM (thus increasing memory usage). Maybe this will solve you major issue

kind regards, Alexander

and increasing load times.

[quote=“Alexander, post:13, topic:1173, full:true”]There is a streaming mode in Omnisphere, if it is set to “Not streamed” all samples should load into RAM (thus increasing memory usage). Maybe this will solve you major issue
[/quote]

sadly it won’t, because it will simply put 64 GB of acoustic piano into my 8 GB RAM :slight_smile:

the thing that I don’t fully understand, is why samples streamed from disk are loaded in RAM. I mean: if there are a part of patch loaded in RAM and a part of it streamed from disk, why does it load into RAM the second part too??? it doesn’t have sense… if I want to stream it from disk, then it means that I DO NOT want to load it into RAM… :confused:

anyway… I’ll try to fix the pedal dropout issue in the settings… but I think the only two fix for this are load all the patch into RAM (impossible) or buy an SSD.

I’ve emailed Spectrasonics asking if they have anything to add to this discussion or if they can answer some of the questions raised. I’ll post reply if I get one.

Brad

3 Likes

how could I thank you… no words, Brad. I wish every dev to be like you. thank you.

1 Like

I have a somewhat related question for whoever here might know… Can I set Keyscape up as an instrument right in Cantabile or do I need it to run in something like Omnisphere then in Cantabile?

Hey Andrew,

Keyscape is a separate vst but the libraries ( same as Trillian ) will run inside Omnisphere, so I think, yes you can.

from Spectrasonics site :

CONCEPTS:

Is Keyscape a stand-alone app or a plugin?
It’s a plugin that works in all the major DAWs and plugin hosts that support VST/AU/AAX platforms.

Does Keyscape use lossless audio compression technology?
Yes. The size the full Keyscape library uses in your drive (77 GB) is actually compressed using lossless audio compression. Uncompressed, the library is over 200 GB! So when we say the library is “huge,” we really mean it!

Do I need to have Omnisphere to use it?
No, Keyscape is its own instrument, and a very powerful one! Having said that, loading Keyscape sounds in Omnisphere will allow you to further modify them using Omnisphere’s synthesis features, as well as creating layers and splits, combining them with Omnisphere sounds. The possibilities are truly endless!

Dave

1 Like

Reply from Spectrasonics:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! As everyone’s setup, specs, controller, etc. are different, it’s best for those with performance questions and issues to contact us directly at info@spectrasonics.net. As far as general performance tips go, the following article in our Knowledgebase may be helpful:

Spectrasonics - Knowledgebase

1 Like