Interesting bug - bypass on its own not working

Here’s an interesting one I found:

take a look at this song:

A simple one - OP-X is processed by MAGMA, which contains an amp with a cab plus delay - nice lead sound for a keyboardist.

When I activate bypass for MAGMA, the OP-X continues to be processed by MAGMA - :confused: - sound still gets amp + delay treatment!

Only when I both de-activate and bypass MAGMA do I get the original sound from the OP-X.

Not quite what I expected - @brad, could you look into this?

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for reporting this. I’ve had a look at it and this is caused by questionable behaviour on the plugins part - it’s writing its output audio to both the input and output buffers that Cantabile passes to it which is trashing Cantabile’s copy of the input signal causing it to leak back into the audio stream even though it’s bypassed.

I don’t think there’s anything in the VST spec about whether a plugin is allowed to do this, but it seems very questionable to me.

Only way to fix this (besides getting the plugin fixed) would be to make a copy of the input signal before passing it to the plugin. Shouldn’t be hard and I’ll special case it for this plugin. I’ll try to fix it for the next build.

Brad

1 Like

Hi @Torsten

Give 3251 a go - should be fixed.

http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/support/releasenotes

Brad

1 Like

Looks good - not only with Magma, but also with the other Nomad Factory plugins.

Thanx @brad !

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Great - good to hear.

FYI: If you look in Compatibility.ini in the same folder as Cantabile.exe you’ll see a new compatibility flag you can set for any other plugins you find with this issue.

Brad

3 Likes