Infinite Loop, Ended with Trigger

Hi all-- Timeline question: I am trying to create a looped MIDI sequence which will play indefinitely, until I trigger with a pedal. I can start the loop just fine, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a binding setting to change the loop from infinite to off (stopping the media player doesn’t stop the loop). Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hi @jtillinghast

Unfortunately the media player is currently a bit limited in this regard - you’re right there’s no option to change looping modes via bindings.

There are plans to improve this however it’s never reached the top of the todo list.

Brad

Gotcha— thanks! End goal is to be able to extend a vamp section behind a solo (I double on keys and sax, and I’d like to be able to have some pads behind a horn solo). Any suggestions on a workaround? I was wondering about just a) copying and pasting several repetitions of the original MIDI file to make it longer, and then b) creating multiple song states that I can advance through. Of course, at this point, it might be easier to just sequence the whole thing out in Reaper?

I did this in Reaper. I’ve only tried it with Audio, but I imagine it would be the same with MIDI tracks.

My use case was to play back rehearsal recordings with my keyboard track muted. This was so I could practice songs, and experiment with adding extra solo sections etc.

I have C3 send MIDI banked program changes to Reaper based on song selection using a “Setlist, Selected song program binding”

In Reaper I had one long continuous timeline with recrodings of all our songs. I created regions for each song, and associated each region with the MIDI program change coming from C3. That way, Reaper always had the correct song cued up when changing songs in C3.

If I remember correctly I set up smart markers for the solo section, so that Reaper would loop between those 2 markers when it got there. I assigned a controller button to toggle “repeat” on and off in Reaper. I could press that button at any point during the solo section and that would then be the last section before carrying on to the rest of the song.

1 Like