I don't understand states

Hi, I’m sorry because I’m sure there’s something simple I’m missing here, but I cannot get states to work in the Cantabile 3 preview build. I followed each step as outlined here: http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/guides/states

But the changes don’t seem to apply to just the currently selected state. If I put an instrument into suspended mode in one state, it goes into suspended mode in the other state. If I delete something from one state, it deletes everywhere. I seem to be editing on the song level when I’m trying to edit on the state level. And yes, automatically updating states is enabled.

Sorry again. I’m not very good with tech and I’m sure I’m missing something obvious. Set lists/songs/racks/states - I can see why there are so many organizational layers at the performer’s disposal but I’m just not good at conceptualizing. Just to be clear - I have a performance with a bunch of instrument sounds (a musical theater show). I’d like to organize them in such a way that I can click through a list (or send a controller signal from a foot pedal), patch by patch, for quick changes without reloading plugins. Maybe I’m not even in the right part of the program.

I ran into the same thing - after selecting the item, you need to check the box at the lower left that says “Processing Mode” for it to remember to toggle your settings. It is finicky sometimes, but if you make sure that box is checked it remembers to suspend your states thereafter.

Terry

Hi,

Unless you’ve found a bug there should be no need to tweak the state behaviours by default for the suspend mode to work across states.

Try this:

1. Start with a new song file (File New)
  2. Insert two plugins
  3. Create two states
  4. Select the first state and disable one plugin
  5. Select the other state and disable the other plugin.

Switch between states and it should switch from one plugin to the other.

Deleted items aren’t handled by states - if you delete something it’s deleted for all states as you’ve found. This is by design.

The typical way to organize things is as follows:

1. Create racks for each of your sounds and use rack-level states within the rack to configure different sounds for the contained plugins as required
  2. Create a song for each song or musical piece.
  3. Create song-level states for each song part (intro, chorus, verse etc…).
  4. Load the racks that the particular song needs and for each song part, selecting the required sound of each rack for each song part.
  5. Put all songs into a set list

Finally, I do intend to put together a video walk through of all this - just haven’t got to it yet.

Brad

Thanks so much for your replies and for your overview of the process, Brad.

I checked “Processing Mode” and that fixed it. From what I can tell, new plugins automatically save state changes such as on/suspended. However, if you add a new rack the rack does not automatically save them; that’s when “Processing Mode” has to be checked.

1 Like