How to find out where a plugin/route/rack/port/state is used?

If I am making changes to all songs, for example retiring one rack and replacing it with another over a period of time or moving rack I/O around, then I’d like to be able to check how many songs still have the old rack.

eg.
Where is this particular plugin used? - which racks, songs?
Where is this rack used? - which songs?
Which racks, songs, plugins, or bindings use this MIDI or Audio port?

Perhaps the Verify Setlist report could be extended to include this data? - it nearly has it today, but not quite.

Similarly, I’d like to see be able to quickly report on which parameters in each rack or song are “state” or “song” controlled. I’ve been caught out when making changes to the metronome tempo on a song for example, only to find that "state behaviour " is ticked so the changes I’ve made only apply to one state.

Is there a way to do this today?

Oh, I’ve just found @Neil_Durant’s post from last year which pretty much covers all of this! I’ve voted on the Trello.

The 1 item not covered by Neil’s post is

1. Show usage by audio or MIDI port

Neil, would you be willing to share your python script please?

Thanks!

Yes, I can share the Python script with you tonight when I get home from work. It should provide you with at least the first two things on your list.

Two things worth mentioning:

1. I find it’s often best not to retire racks and replace with a new version, but to extend the internals of your existing rack so that some rack states use the ‘old’ functionality and other rack states use the ‘new’ functionality, and slowly upgrade the states until they’re all working the new way. Then clean up the rack, removing any redundant plugins etc. That way you can migrate things on a more phased basis.
  2. If you’re reworking stuff, it would be well worth checking out @Torsten’s “abstraction” stuff, where he hides the specifics of actual ports, keyboards and controllers, allowing him to change or reconfigure hardware without having to modify all his racks/songs. I’m not sure if there’s one specific thread where he describes it, but it has been mentioned to varying degrees in various threads.

Neil

1 Like

Thanks Neil - yes I’m doing exactly that abstraction, and want the reporting stuff to make sure I’ve not missed anything!

Here is the relevant thread and post: Organise routes and bindings for pedals, switches, control surfaces?

Cheers

Torsten

1 Like