Hide GUI on Unload binding fails

Binding should should open plugin GUI on state load and close it on state unload.
It’s not working.
Having the GUI close on loading another state does work. Tried a delay - no good.
Simple G-Tune plugin- nothing too demanding.
Any ideas?

Found another approach which works - Is running and is suspended seems to take care of it. Still confused why the original commands didn’t cut the mustard.
But now…

Works perfectly within the song but when loading the song with a state that does not have GTune running, the GUI opens.
Any idea why?

Possibly because those bindings are not being triggered on song load, only on changes to plugin running state, and at song load, Cantabile is restoring the GUI to the state it was in when saved.

You could try adding a song load binding that sets the GUI to your preferred initial state.

Let me understand what you are trying to do: you want to pop up a tuner plugin with a certain song state and then close it again when you leave that state?

The way I do this: I enclose the plugin in a linked rack (I use S-Gear in its tuning mode - best vst tuner I’ve used so far!). In this rack, “Editor Visibility” state behavior is activated for S-Gear. Now I have created a state “Tuner” with the GUI open and saved this state. For all other states of this rack, the GUI is closed. Now whenever I select rack state “Tuner”, the tuner pops up with S-Gear in tuning mode (and the audio output muted). Whenever I select a different rack state, the tuner window closes.

So now, I have a first state “Tuning” in all of my guitar songs with this state selected, so I can quickly check tuning at the beginning of the song - and to make sure that the noise of plugging in my guitar is muted. Then I simply advance to the first “real” state of the song (for guitar songs, my sustain pedal acts as “next state”) and the tuner closes and my guitar sound is un-muted - ready to go!

At the end of the song, there is another “tuner&mute” state, so I can safely unplug my guitar again.

So a solution for you could be to move your GTune plugin to a linked rack and use state behavior to show/hide the GUI

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

@Torsten
I had the tuner at the top level - not in a rack. Using a linked rack seemed to take care of it for some reason. State load opens, unload closes. Still doesn’t completely explain why a song, saved in the closed GUI state, would open the GUI when loaded - but this approach works. Thanks!

Yeah, S-Gear. I’m a fan and use it lots. I really like this little G-Tuner because it uses color as well as a clear note display which is not over sensitive. It’s very easy to quick tune, even from a distance.

Also, my guitar rack uses a fair of amount of other plugins - including non S-Gear amps which are plumbed through S-Gear’s Pro Convolver. I like the cleanliness of the dedicated tuner in its own home. Nice to have choices, ain’t it. :slight_smile:

Hi Adrian,

I’m not sure how you were doing the original bindings (you posted an alternative image) but if I’m correct then you were using the enable function to switch off the unwanted bindings on states where you don’t want them to happen.

example1

• state 1
    binding 1 = “on state load” show tuner gui (enabled)
    binding 2 = “on state unload” do not show tuner gui (enabled)

• state 2
    binding 1 = “on state load” show tuner gui (disabled)
    binding 2 = “on state unload” do not show tuner gui (disabled)

here is where it acts badly, the same binding that you want to use to shut off the gui is in all the song states you made. Before the command is executed (hide gui) the binding is disabled. So it looks like either a priorities conflict or an unexpected bug. However If you apply the logic below it can still be done at song level, just leave the second binding enabled that hides the gui and it works as expected like below …

example 2

• state 1
    binding 1 = “on state load” show tuner gui (enabled)

• state 2

• state 3

Just chiming in with some thoughts … this question might interest @brad
Oh, and I use trackmeter by DMG for tuner for the same reason as you use the G-meter instead of S-Gear meter, I like to have it as a separate plug and good visibility.

Cheers,

Dave

2 Likes

@dave_dore wrote:

So it looks like either a priorities conflict or an unexpected bug.

I think so.

Thanks for that Dave.
With this simple pair of bindings within the tuner rack, the whole thing works perfectly -even when starting the song from scratch. If the song is saved with a non tuner state active, you see the GUI flash up briefly and then close.
I don’t even have to touch the bindings. They just stay active within the tuner rack.

So… as this works in a rack and not outside a rack, is it a bug?