Crashed and lost input/output settings - maybe all settings

Yesterday during practice I had a PC hard lock and had to power off the Surface in order to reboot. When I launched Cantabile after restarting, it acted as if it was the first time I was using Cantabile and prompted me with all the welcome tips. Also, all of my input/output settings were GONE, so all of my routes were broken. I had to manually add my keyboard, foot controller and guitar input/speaker output again. Then reassign to each route to restore my functionality.

Is there anything I can back up in case this happens again to ā€˜instaā€™ restore my settings? I canā€™t imagine that happening live and not being able to get everything up and running again immediately.

The abstraction for the ports is great, but in this instance, I still had to select my new ports on each of my plugs.

I have also had that happen to me. (Luckily, at just a practice and not a paid performance. But it was still pretty stressful.)

It seemed to me that the settings.json file (or the data contained in it) got corrupted. I managed to find a backup of the settings.json in a crash dump. Since then, I have made sure to keep up-to-date backups of all of the configuration files and of the folders containing my rack, song, and set list files.

Iā€™ve heard of this happening a couple of times and the only real resolution at the moment is to either restore settings.json from a backup, or recreate the settings.

Itā€™s a valid point though that this is a problem if it happens during performance and the only reason Cantabile doesnā€™t do something more resilient is because it should be exceedingly unlikely for the file to become corrupted - Cantabile opens the file, writes it and closes it.

Perhaps it should keep a ā€œlast known goodā€ copy of the settings file to fallback to in a case like this.

5 Likes

That would be a great idea! :relaxed:

1 Like

Great idea Brad. Could save someoneā€™s behind during a live performance of the unthinkable happens or just save a bunch of time of it happens elsewhere.

Logged it.

This has just happened to me for the second time yesterday. On both occasions it was when I tried to update Cantabile from the Tools menu. The updater couldnā€™t shut down Cantabile (I hadnā€™t saved a recent change to something) so I had to do it manually. I then updated normally but all the settings file info was lost unfortunately.

The ā€˜last good copyā€™ was from quite a while before, though I didnā€™t know how to get Cantabile to read it. Do I change the name? I tried to use a copy from one of the zip files that are in the Cantabile folder but it wasnā€™t recognised. How do I save the current settings - just manually drag a copy somewhere safe? Could this be a menu option in the future?

Iā€™ve redone all the necessary settings stuff now, and will avoid updating from inside the programme in case this is a small (if annoying) bug.

Paul

Hi @clp560

Thanks for leting me know about this. Iā€™m not aware of any specific problems here but Iā€™ve not really tested running the installer while Cantabile is already running - Iā€™ll check it out.

In the meantime, if your ā€œlast goodā€ settings file was old then you were probably in the wrong settings folder. Cantabile writes that file after every time it successfully opens it. And yes, just rename it to settings.json to have Cantabile read it. Similarly for extracting a settings file from a crash file - that should work too, just place it over the existing file. If thatā€™s not working again, you must be in the wrong folder.

As for backing up/restoring this file - yep you can just take a copy of the file and place it somewhere else.

Brad

Is this the correct folder: User/app data/local/topten/cantabile? My new settings file is there but the ā€˜last goodā€™ is from August 2016. I tried replacing the settings file from the most recent crash file but although Cantabile opened they werenā€™t the settings I expected to see from the date of the file.

Iā€™ve reset everything now and will manually keep a BU. Might it be possible in a future update that the settings file could be saved from the File menu? Incidentally, after the crash all other aspects of my setup were fine so just the ins/outs (and the associated renaming/aliases) were missing.

Hi @clp560

Yeah thatā€™s the correct folder location, but you need to double check that last folder name - depending on which edition of Cantabile your running (x86 vs x64) and also whether youā€™re using a custom configuration name.

eg: my machine has three such folders:

If youā€™re running Cantabile x86, but changing the settings folder in the ā€œCantabile (x64)ā€ sub folder itā€™ll have no effect.

The easiest way to locate the correct folder is to run Cantabile and choose ā€œOpen Settings Folderā€ from the Tools menu.

Brad

Thanks Brad. Iā€™d found the folder from the Tools menu and the old August 2016 ā€˜lastgoodā€™ was in there. I deleted it and renamed a copy of the settings file as the current ā€˜lastgoodā€™ file. Does that work? In any case Iā€™ve made the folder visible so that I can easily make a backup (along with the other Cantabile folders) in case of a future crash. Iā€™d always backed up the others anyway. What are the other settings files in this folder - the .3179/.3200? I deleted the other zip files keeping only the most recent ones, though the settings file from the Jan 2017 folder couldnā€™t be read either. All is fixed now but itā€™s good to have some info to try and avoid future problems, or at least have a quick solution available.

Paul

Hi @clp560

(Sorry for the slow reply - been travelling all yesterday)

The settings.lastgood.json file is a backup of the last known good set of settings. So you need to copy that to settings.json to restore it. Similarly if youā€™re restoring settings from crash zips then you need to just replace the settings.json file - not the setting.lastgood.json. (Note you have file extensions hidden in your screen shot so you canā€™t see the .json part of the file name)

As for the .3179 and .3200 files these are backups of the settings files as they were the last time you ran those build numbers before upgrading. When you update Cantabile, itā€™ll automatically backs up the existing settings file the first time you run it. This is because occasionally the format of the settings file changes and if you want to go back to an earlier build, you can switch to those files if necessary (itā€™s generally not).

Note that for backup reasons you can move the settings folder.

Brad

Thanks Brad, a very comprehensive reply. If I have another corrupted settings file Iā€™ll certainly be able to restore things very quickly. Iā€™ll avoid updating from the running programme until you have time to check that out. On the two occasions itā€™s happened I think the problem might have been that I hadnā€™t saved a recent edit, so the updater couldnā€™t close Cantabile.

Paul

1 Like