Chord from single drum pad

If it’s just for a single chord, you could set up 3 bindings, all from that same drum pad note, but each mapping to a different target note. In Cantabile Performer you could potentially bundle that into a rack and have different rack states generate different chords. But it’d be a bit clunky.

For anything more sophisticated it’s probably best to look at one of the chord generation plugins such as Chordz, which I think will probably do exactly what you’re looking for.

Neil

3 Likes

Chordz nailed it. That is exactly what I am wanting. THANKS!!!

I cant believe how awesome that plugin is. Chordz allows me to hold a massive pad in omnisphere 2 changing chords with the song while playing piano over the pads. What a great Plugin!!

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this, @Neil_Durant - Chordz looks awesome! I’m definitely putting it to work.

Terry

1 Like

Generally MIDI plugins are best for this, but on a whim you could also do this:

1 Like

What I also tried (while waiting for Omnisphere 2 to get here from Amazon) since the issues I encountered were as follows. Chordz is very powerful, but Toggle on drum pad means I have to disengage before triggering another chord pad. Momentary means I have to hold down the pad to keep it going. Here is what I tried for the interim:

1. Recorded each pad chord into C3 for about 5 seconds resulting in a track
  2. Made a media plugin and loaded the recorded tracks as a list
  3. Looped each midi track at loop point indefinitely
  4. Created note binding that first stopped media player then played the track associated with the not binding
    The result is full chord pads that stop when another key is pressed, and another pad begins. Nice thing is that the Amplitude envelope trails after the track change sounding like an authentic chord change being played, rather than an audio file that would not trail. Lots of binding lines but gives me 5 different pads to offer per song.(there could be more, but 5 pads are enough). One note is dedicated to just killing the media player.

Here are the bindings:

2 Likes

Inventive! You might also be able to do this using Chordz, with a binding triggered by the drum pads, that sends cc64 value 0, then a second binding sending value 127 immediately after - basically holding the sustain pedal but just briefly releasing it each time a drum pad triggers.

Neil

1 Like

Once again, a brilliant reply! i was stuck on looking at how to start and stop the media player, I completely missed that approach. Thanks! I am developing a pool of chord pads for one of our band members to use an MPC to trigger O2 on a laptop. She can simply load the song for the key. I may look at a library of racks to accomplish such, rather than having to load respective songs, but I don’t fully understand racks at this point. Thanks again!

I have tried everything. Your idea is perfect, but for some reason it is impossible to route a 64 to sustain in a plugin. Crazy. Nothing of the sort. You are bound to the parameters of the plugin, but not the influence of the controller. Impossible. Major bummer!

Works like this, drum pad references a note (say 84 which is C6) that triggers a D9 chord pad on, say Massive. There is absolutely no way to bind a command to sustain or unsustain (not a real word) that note with a CC64. Not at all.

I’d be surprised if your plugin doesn’t sustain with cc64 as its so standard. Some synth plugins don’t, and you have to map cc64 to some kind of “hold” parameter in the plugin to make it work. This seems to be common in some Arturia plugins.

In that example, you would route the CC64 to Massive, not to the Chordz plugin, I believe.

Terry

Exactly - send sustain to whatever plugin is making the sounds.

Here is the only problem with that. While DAW’s have automation lanes assignable to any aspect of a plugin, AND automation for standard MIDI functions such as Portamento, Sustain, Expression, Modwheel etc. Cantabile 3.0 Solo does not. Controller 64 can only be routed to any of the multiple parameters of Massive, none of which are sustain, since this is a MIDI controller send function. It just has nowhere to go. So far, I have returned to my lengthy bindings above, building a library of chords for media player to play as a looped midi file routed to any plugin synth on channel 1. The Chordz plugin works beautifully for triggering funky chord plucks or stabs, or holding down the pad for sustain. I am open to any ideas continuing on this. I do appreciate your attention to this, as this new approach to music is on the horizon and dawning (triggering preprogramed chords via Ableton Push type pads, be it Novation, Akai, NI etc.) for live improvisation. Old school phrase trigger requires a click if you have a drummer.

I’ve just been experimenting with Massive, and on my setup it sustains as expected, out of the box, when sending CC64 (values 0 or 127) to the plugin’s MIDI in, like most other plugins. No need to use automation to control internal Massive parameters. I’ve set up a mock-up of what I think you’re trying to do, except using a controller keyboard instead of pads, but otherwise the same kind of thing, and it works fine. Each new chord (triggered by a single note) releases the sustain then re-applies it, by using two bindings triggered by note-on, the first sending CC64 value 0 (release sustain) and the second immediately after sending CC64 value 127 (hold sustain). Works great :relaxed:

Routing:

Bindings:

Hope this helps!

Incidentally, one other thing I found in Massive is that if you go to Env 4 in the synth view and select the “Hold” checkbox, it will hold any incoming notes/chords until you play some others. I think it must decide that any notes appearing sufficiently close together are a chord, so hold them all, and if the incoming note events are spaced out a bit more in time, it regards them as separate notes, holding each one individually. Quite a useful little feature.

Neil

I followed your set up to the tee. However, I believe it is a version issue. I have C3 SOLO, and it is not offering the “Massive 1 - MIDI In” as an option at all, just Massive Parameters. That may be a performer feature. For the first time in 3 years, I am not enjoying this software. Working on a Masters Degree and I have wasted hours with this. I am getting Omnisphere 2 in a few days in the mail. Was hoping to have this resolved by then. I think it is just a matter of having to get performer, which I am not going to do. I love this software, so I will have to work around it, I guess.

Awww, that’s a shame. Anyway, as I said in the latter part of my e-mail, you might be able to use that “Hold” feature of Massive, without needing those bindings in Cantabile at all - simply send chords to Massive with that hold checkbox checked, and it might do what you need.

Neil

I am going to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

I’m using a sequencer called BlueArp for this - http://graywolf2004.net/wp/. Send my input MIDI to bluearp, which does a sequence where it gets the first note in a measure and holds it. This gets sent to Chordz and then to a synth. This way I can play a lead line, and on every measure a new chord is generated from the note I play at that moment.

1 Like

Okay, that’s really cool. I have to try that one. I am going to download that plugin. Sounds low resource. That singel note I can use to trigger a chord in chordz, evidently.