Bug report: Stuck notes when using media player loop points

Win 10. Cantabile 3 3236 64-bit.

I’m using a linked rack containing midiChords, sending MIDI to a linked rack containing Kontakt. I also have a media player containing a rehearsal backing track.

When I move the loop start point in the media player to anywhere apart from the beginning of the backing track I get hanging notes from midiChords, as if Kontakt is not receiving any note-off messages from midiChords. If I move the loop pointer back to the start of the backing file then the problem goes away. I can recreate this reliably.

Set up the View / MIDI monitor and see what’s going on?

Have done as suggested…

The controlling keyboard is sending a note on/off to midiChords at all times.

When the loop point is set at the start of the media player waveform the note-offs from midiChords are generated.

When I move the loop start point forward in the media player waveform, midiChords no longer sends note-off commands.

When I move the loop point back to the start of the waveform in the media player the note-offs from midiChords are generated reliably once again.

Anything I need to do to see this logged as a bug and track its fix progress?

Maybe this one has slipped through @brad’s net - he’s a busy man!

I’ve been in software development, so I know the pressures. As long as I know the bug is logged that’s as much I expect.

OK, so to be clear, your setup is as follows:

1. MIDI Keyboard -> midiChords Plugin
  2. midiChords Plugin -> Kontakt
  3. Media Player with an audio file loaded, presumably set as master transport

and, when media player is at home position midiChords sends note offs, when not at home position it doesn’t?

Assuming all the above. I just tried reproducing that here and couldn’t - note off events worked fine.

This sounds to me like a problem with the midiChords plugin. The only relationship between midiChords and the audio file song position will be timing information reported by Cantabile to the plugin.

I’m wondering if midiChords is trying to sync to the host timing, but because the transport isn’t moving it’s waiting for some point of time in the future to release the notes.

• What happens if the audio file is playing - do you get the same problem?
  • What happens if you make the media player not the master transport?

Also, wondering if this is something that’s changed in midiChords at some point. I’m running v1.2.5.

Brad

1.2.5 of midiChords fixed it!

Well spotted, brad!

2 Likes