Binding to external rack output gain

Is it possible to bind CC7 to the Rack Output Gain slider out in the song, rather than the Input or Output Gain sliders inside the rack?

Desired output gain slider (outside the rack):

Only gain sliders I can figure out how to bind to (inside the rack):

Easiest is Right click slider, move CC7. In fact, most here, including Brad would tell you this is the best place to use volume control.

Hi Jeremy,

The problem may be that your binding is created inside the rack. Below at the bottom of picture one you can see the opened rack ‘test one’ and the only way to adjust rack volume from inside is to have the target as “Rack” and “Output Gain”. The binding shown at the top of picture one is created at the Song level instead of the Rack level and so the Target is “test one” ( the rack I want to control) and “Gain”.

in the second pic you have the Routing tabs for the rack and song open and you can see the sliders that are affected by the different bindings.

as Corky said the song level slider is the best choice. Hope this helps.

Dave

1 Like

What I’m really trying to do is set up a generic rack for, say, all the sax sounds in my motif. It has all of the optional sax programs as rack states, along with any other parameters I might like with that particular sax.

Now when I create a new song with a sax, I just leave my MOXF on song 1 and add the rack with a MIDI out to channel 1 on the MOX. An EP rack could be routed to channel 2, etc. Then qhen the song is loaded the racks set the channels to the sounds selected by the rack states.

This all works wonderfully. What I want to do now is set up the rack so that whenever I load it in a new song, the song level gain slider automatically sends cc7 messages to the rack midi out so I can mix all the racks from the song level where I can see them. I’m going to be adding a lot of instances of these racks while building songs, and I would hate to have to create individual song level binds each time.

Hey Jeremy,

I have a few ideas that might help get you there. To do what you want to do you must have some bindings at song level to loop the data back out to the same rack. See below the song level bindings. This establishes the gain slider for your chosen rack as a generator of cc#7 events.

Next you need to re-order your racks in your songs so they can be indexed. when racks are loaded in the routing page they are indexed top to bottom 1,2,3 etc … Load your racks in the same top to bottom order in every song and give them index numbers. For instance sax rack is index 1 and so on. The main idea is keep rack order continuity through all songs. In my example “test one” rack would index#1 and rack “test two” would be index#2.

Next you can make the following changes to your rack bindings you use to auto send your MIDI presets
First create a route pass through for your MIDI messages to be passed to the output of the rack to be sent to your external keyboard like below.

Next change your internal rack bindings as follows. I tried to use some of your examples below but the important binding is the one that is circled. The target has now been changed to “Rack by Index” instead of just “Rack” so that it can pass initial values to the rack gain slider at song level and subsequently to the external midi out device as shown in figure 3. When using the "Rack target you can only address the internal output gain slider.

This approach should get you where you want to go. This keeps your rack initial bindings intact you’ve already made and establishes the link to your song level gain slider that can be still be set with rack load bindings from within the rack. Hope it works out.

Dave

An interesting solution to be sure. However, the ultimate goal of the exercise is to create flexibility in the song setups. Ensuring that the sax rack is always rack #3 for example would be nearly impossible. My song setups are each very unique.