Binding a controller to a specific output

I have two stereo output pairs setup (melody and accompaniment) to make things easier on FOH and to allow for separate audio recording.

I have the first slider on my Impulse 61 set to the master volume, but it would be great if I could reach up to adjust the volumes of the melody and accompaniment outputs separately.

I thought I saw something about putting each of these in a separate rack, but I can’t find the link to that.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance…

The easiest way to do this without using any plugins is to use two empty embedded racks in your songs that route their input to the respective hardware output. Then use bindings to connect your sliders to the gain faders of these racks.

Here we got an OP-X pro feeding the Melody rack. This rack does nothing but route all its input to the Main Speakers output port. The Accompaniment rack does the same, but to a different output port.

Now in the Bindings page, we simply use sliders to control both racks’ Gain - simple and effective volume control.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thanks Torsten (again). I’ll give this a try…

Hmmmm…
So I started to work on this tonight, and I believe I did exactly as you said.

1. Create two Embedded Racks
  2. Assign the outputs of the embedded racks to the Melody and Accompaniment Hardware outputs
  3. Assign the outputs from individual plug ins to the embedded racks.

When I do this, the plug ins show output, but no sound passes through the embedded racks.

If I connect the plug ins directly to the hardware outputs, everything works fine.

I’m probably missing something basic, but I can not figure out what it might be.

Hey Patrick,

Open each embedded rack you made and create a pass through audio route inside it. That’s looks like what’s wrong. Example below … rack stereo in to rack stereo out

Dave

1 Like

That did it Dave. Thank you…

PS - Don’t you ever sleep?

dental work today can’t nod off … lol

Finally got this done. Ended up putting the bindings in each song. I was hoping that there was a way to have a MIDI Input rack of some kind, but as I ran out of time and couldn’t find an input rack-able solution I decided to brute force it.

Right now I’m using the sliders on the Novation (which is my upper keyboard) this way
Slider 1 - Master gain (all outputs from Cantabile). Allows for me to adjust the overall volume, or have a “kill” switch if something short of a crash hits the system. The binding for this is in the background rack, so I don’t have to apply it to each song

Sliders 8 and 9 - These are bound to the Embedded Racks that pass through to the two output pairs (Accomp and Melody).

Thanks again for the help getting through this.

Now on to the next challenge (which is trying to avoid playing wrong notes at the gig Wednesday evening). :slight_smile:

1 Like