Anyone tried Ryzen yet?

My venerable Lenovo W530 is starting to feel the strain of heavier Omnisphere 2 use on my part, despite upgrading it to 32Gb ram and 3 fast SSDs, and I’m considering building a mini pc for live use, using the laptop as the front end of the system and the mini pc to do the “heavy lifting”

On paper the Ryzen 7 looks promising but seems to be faring rather poorly in reviews.
That being said, all the reviews are based on synthetic benchmarks and gaming. As we all know audio production places different demands on the hardware.

Just wondering if anyone has any relevant experiences to share?

I’m hoping to pick up my brand new DAW PC this coming week or early next week.
I went for an i7 7700K for this build due to hearing mixed reports about Ryzen for low latency audio use. It may well turn out to be a good audio platform but Intel is proven as is the Z270 chipset which is on the board I’ve chosen (Asus Prime Z270a).

Reliability is my number one requirement and I don’t want to take any chances. This will be a daily use rig in my studio.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s probably not ready for prime time yet but will probably (I hope) evolve into a powerful platform.

Any competition for Intel has got to be good news.

Being on a deadline I’ve opted for a Skull Canyon NUC for now, being ultra portable and relatively powerful it should meet my needs for the forseeable future. I managed to get one fairly “cheap” but by the time I’ve populated it with 32Gb DDR4 and a Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb NVME drive (I couldn’t justify the cost of the 960 Pro for now) it’s a tad on the pricey side.

I hope you enjoy your new setup. I’m a bit of a geek so probably enjoy the technical stuff more than the music making at times!

2 Likes